SATA HDD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
Hi,

Just bought a new hard drive 250GB western d to replace my dying maxtor 200GB.

My motherboard is SK8n so it doesn't support SATA II. So I used a jumper to enable its "SATA 150" mode. Plugged it in and everything. It's my secondary hard drive. So I use my motherboard cd to install the SATA drivers in windows, just like I used to do with my old hard drive. But it doesn't seem to work. The drivers appear to work but it wouldn't recognise my hard drive at all.

What should I do?

Well I think my BIOS is old so it's not recognising the hard drive. But with my previous hard drive despite the bios not recognising it, windows still recognised it.

i agree with ^ about formatting, as well check the website to see if there are any updated drivers, and possibly update your BIOS as well.

Actually there isn't really a need to update your BIOS but, your drivers yes. All you need to do it reformat the HDD, delete the partition, and install the fresh Windows.

and it's a SATA drive I don't think there is a master/slave concept in SATAs?

My prim. hard drive is an IDE btw.

Restart your computer, click F8. An option boot window should come up. Insert your Windows Setup CD into your optical drive. And Select your Optical Drive as the boot. Windows Setup should come up.

So in this process, I should unplug my primary hard drive, just have this one on and then format it using the windows cd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom