Sata HDD not detected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

24kobe

Beta member
Hello Everyone,

I really have a problem with my hardisk. It's not being detected on 'my computer' nor 'disk management' anymore. A coupla days back i was detecting the drive on disk management (it says that it is not initialised) but now i don't know where to find it,it's totally gone. I've been using this drive for almost 5years now or more i guess..I bought an enclosure case to use it as an external, it actually worked for about 3mos. I've got tonsa files in it. I went looking for a new enclosure (thinking that the problem was only within the enclosure) which didn't help. I also don't hear the drive running anymore. Probably this mean that my drive's completely dead right? Do i still have a chance to revive it?? Is there any way? though it really seems to be impossible...

thanks for the response whoever you are..

See if the drive is being recognised in the bios. Try using a different 12v molex connector. Try a new ribbon cable.

Sometimes you can remove the drive and put it in the Freezer til it gets really cold and then access your files. You may have to freeze it multiple times in order to copy all of your important files thou.

^woah, lol wth? New ribbon cable's aren't going to do much for a sata drive :)

You've obviously got more than one drive there, so here's what you should try next.
Take the power cable and sata cable from one of the hdd's you KNOW is working, swap them with the cables you were using with the 'broken' drive. See if the hdd still works.

If it doesn't then one of the cables is bad (prolly the power cable)
If it still starts up, then your 'broken' hdd really might be broken. If it's not even spinning up, and you've tried a different power connecter with it, then the drive is probably busted.

See if the drive is being recognised in the bios. Try using a different 12v molex connector. Try a new ribbon cable.

Sometimes you can remove the drive and put it in the Freezer til it gets really cold and then access your files. You may have to freeze it multiple times in order to copy all of your important files thou.

Freeze it? Hard drives have moving parts... How would freezing them help you get the files back? I would really really like to know. lol ;)

Like others have suggested swap out the cables with one that you know for a certain that work and see if spins and is detected.

Also with some Motherboards you have to 'remap' SATA primary and secondary to an 'IDE' master and slave setting. You can do this through the BIOS.

Freeze it? Hard drives have moving parts... How would freezing them help you get the files back? I would really really like to know. lol ;)

As weird as this sounds, I have heard this works. I remember hearing it when I was just starting out. Never tested it myself tho, so can't give a yay or nay on it :)
still...I love it.
User: hey, my hdd's not working. What can I do?
TF says: Have you tried putting it in the freezer?

HAHAHAHA

Freezer trick does work in a pinch but does not last for long.
It basically contracts the metal and can pull defective parts back into place for certain types of physical failure.

put it in a plastic bag and freeze away.
Have a recovery plan because if you are lucky you will have 5 minutes.

If the data is real important send it to a professional recovery company that will pull the platters and recover it that way.

^acctually i did this on a 200gig drive that failed on me, i got 29 minutes before i had to refreeze it, it was pretty good, the second time it was about 15 minutes, but i was done by then.

^probably some guy got ****ed that his hdd was not working so he threw it in the freezer trying to get revenge, then before he threw it out hew as so mad about it he though he would try it one last time. Lol, that's my theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom