SATA HD read as IDE - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 02:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default SATA HD read as IDE

i thought i was being smart when i decided to flash update my bios to the latest version... for no real reason...

anyways.. my SATA hard drive is now being read as an IDE drive.. why is that? how do i change it? i played around in the bios and stuff.. but couldn't fix it... my mobo is k8n-neo4 939

Old 07-27-2006, 05:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

well do you see any problem? or are you just feeling a little OCD with the fact it says IDE when it is SATA. are you sure it didn't do that before anyway? basically the answer is it's the Nforce4 chipset. it "emulates" IDE on the nvidia SATA controller for compatability. it doesn't inhibit performance as far as i know but it does save you having to install SATA drivers with windows

Old 07-27-2006, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

well right now there is no problem.. but when i plug in my old ide hard drive it automatically reads it as master, and the SATA one goes to slave.. so it boots from the ide one.. which has like windows98 on it.. and it doesn't work.. i don't really need it now.. but there are some important files on it and i'll eventually need to install it..

so if i get the latest nforce4 drivers it'll be fixed? or umm.. how do i install sata drivers? and how come i didn't have to do that when i initially put together my computer?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
so if i get the latest nforce4 drivers it'll be fixed? or umm.. how do i install sata drivers? and how come i didn't have to do that when i initially put together my computer?
remember drivers only come into play once windows has loaded so updating the drivers will not help you out during the POST. you don't need to install SATA drivers BECAUSE of what i said. the NF4 controller emulates IDE for compatability so that a windows OS will install without SATA drivers and it is easy enough to install them once windows is installed.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

....so what is it that i need to do?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

whoops, i knew i forgot to say something. before i posted i looked over what i typed thinking wasn't i going to say something else but couldn't remember.

just change your boot priority so that it goes to that drive first.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

ah lol.. thx man. will try it out when i install that HD