SATA drive is not recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I have two SATA II hard disk drives from Western Digital, 250 gig each. I want to set up a mirror format. I run Linux and Linux only, no Windows partition. I just did a fresh install of Linux (Ubuntu) into the first hard drive about 5 times. Finally, I'm done doing that and going in circles. I also believe I successfully set up a mirror format with RAID through BIOS settings I found and enabled and ended up in a setup screen.

So, I think RAID1 is enabled just fine. Linux is also properly installed. However when I reboot it says disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter.

The hard drives are plugged in. SATA 1 and 2 on the board are enabled. I tried enabling 3 and 4 as well but it didn't yield any different results. What can I do? I think it's a BIOS setting or something. It just doesn't make sense. The HDD's have an OS, and they're plugged in right. They should be detected... unless something else is blocking the road.

Can anybody help? This has been an all day affair here... :(

Im pretty sure (At least this is how it worked on the motherboard I RAIDed on) that you need to create the area in the CMOS Setup before you Format and install the operating system. Also I know that (For XP at least I don't know about Linux) you have to Install or intergrate RAID Driver after you create the array and before you begin formating and installing the OS.

so create the Array first then (In this case youll need to reinstall) Format and install the OS.

Okay well. I ran into some issues but I think everything is okay now, but I don't have raid running yet. I disabled raid and formatted both drives. Now I have a single SATA drive with Linux fully installed and functional, the other drive is empty.

If I set up hardware raid in mirror format through bios, can I have the second drive copy over everything that's ALREADY on the first drive? I DON'T want to have to format and set up raid FIRST, then install the OS. That's when I ran into issues. So far, using only one hard drive and installing the OS, things went very smooth. I just want to change NOTHING except add my second drive to mirror...

Okay. New problem. I'm at the end of my limit here. I'm going to wait for a response before these hard drives go through the wall.

I'm running linux. I want to set up a raid1 format. I decided to do so. So I set up a hardware raid through the bios. I go to reboot, and nothing happens. My system will POST, then that's it. Black screen. Nothing.

But if I disconnect ONE of the two SATA drives, it'll boot, but obviously get an error. Two? No. Black screen.

What the ****? :mad:

Well Like I said, After you create the array you need to Install the RAID Driver through the Linux installer and then format and install linux.

Thats why I said I don't know if it will copy itself over.
So, search around the net using google on Linux RAID Installs.

I came across these pictures of the BIOS on my motherboard. Check them out.

Now, this is normal, only having one thing listed, right? If I see this, that means I have successfully setup RAID 1 mirroring. Right?

k8n2.jpg

Now, with this picture. Should I have BOTH drives on the right, or just one? I figured I'd only need ONE drive on the right, because only one drive is the true "array" disk. But when I keep one on left, one on the right, it says invalid number of drives selected.

k8n3.jpg

This next picture is normal, seeing just one drive listed... right? I'm assuming that the other drive not listed would be the boot drive, while this one I'm looking at on this screen is the mirroring array drive... correct?

k8n4.jpg

Okay. Second question... When I install Linux, it asks me which drive I want to install the operating system to. Shouldn't only one drive be listed? I have a choice between the two. Is that normal?

Other than that, I've done everything right and I still get boot disk failure when I try to boot. :(

Yes Only one drive should be listed, but before you get to installing linux you need to install the proper RAID Driver, And since (assuming) you haven't, it will detect two drives even if you already created the array.

I don't know how you would install the RAID Drivers with a Linux install so your going to google around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom