Sapphire Radeon HD 7970, this overheating makes no sense....

Xalidan8162

Solid State Member
Alright, so my problem is: Recently I replaced my EVGA GeForce GTX 650ti Boost for a Sapphire Radeon HD 7970, I won't lie it was a good buy since my Nvidia would overheat all the damn time when gaming, but now i'm experiencing the exact same damn thing with this new card, what makes no sense is the fact that whenever I touch it, it's not hot, neither is everything else inside, all of it is neat and organized.....**** I don't even have the case covered so there's more than enough air flow going on in there, I just experience random shut-downs all the damn time, and it's frustrating to know that it's not anything of what I have in there cause nothing ever gets hot, I don't even overclock my stuff, ever....even my PSU is colder than both my motherboard and graphics card, I have no viruses as I do regular virus checks every week, all I do is gaming, all my drivers are up to date, everything is as it should be, and at the end of the day, it's almost as if my GTX 650ti is better than my new one.....so...WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!

Last edited:
Alright, so my problem is: Recently I replaced my EVGA GeForce GTX 650ti Boost for a Sapphire Radeon HD 7970, I won't lie it was a good buy since my Nvidia would overheat all the damn time when gaming, but now i'm experiencing the exact same damn thing with this new card, what makes no sense is the fact that whenever I touch it, it's not hot, neither is everything else inside, all of it is neat and organized.....**** I don't even have the case covered so there's more than enough air flow going on in there, I just experience random shut-downs all the damn time, and it's frustrating to know that it's not anything of what I have in there cause nothing ever gets hot, I don't even overclock my stuff, ever....even my PSU is colder than both my motherboard and graphics card, I have no viruses as I do regular virus checks every week, all I do is gaming, all my drivers are up to date, everything is as it should be, and at the end of the day, it's almost as if my GTX 650ti is better than my new one.....so...WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!

I understand your upset we could try a few things and see what the problem is.
Find out which ATI catalyst suite/driver you downloaded.
Find out what nvidia drivers you download before also.
Reason why i say this both vga makers have released some bad drivers throughout the year.
If you happen to get a bad driver to make vga card heatup and crash, that could be the main issue.

I had something simliar happen to me like what your going through.
Back tracked the problem to newly released drivers by nvidia.
Said **** it and used the drivers from May 2012, stopped the issues until nvidia got their act together.

GPU Caps Viewer 1.18.1 Released | Geeks3D

or more prefered

GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

Last edited:
The 650ti Boost doesn't get hot at all and if you're experiencing the same issues with the new 7970 then I'm guessing you have a problem somewhere else.

Use MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z to monitor load temps and report back. You can use MSI Kombustor, a benchmark, or a game to load the card.

Back
Top Bottom