Samsung HD not recognised in BIOS!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechAddict999

Solid State Member
Hello all,

I have bought a Samsung SP1604N. I am not sure if it is an IDE or a SATA (I suspect IDE)
1) How can I find which it is please?

I have currently got a Maxtor 6L200P0 200GB hard drive connected as my master which is working fine.

I have connected it the Samsung HD on the same ribbon as the Master and set it as a slave, master,cable select. None of them work. It is not recognized in the BIOS at all. I have tried connecting other smaller hard drives and then are auto detected fine.

I also have 2 DVD drives connected on another ribbon, I have unplugged one of those and tried it on that ribbon but still no joy.

My boot order is DVD, Hard drive then floppy. 2) Does this matter?

I have an AMD Athlon 64bit Dual Core 3800,
My mother board is an ASUS A8N-E

Any help at all is appreciated

Thanks

1)
sata.jpg

Top is SATA, bottom is IDE

If you had to connect it to a ribbon cable, then its IDE.

If it's hooked up right (cable is in tight, and power cable is firmly attached), then I'd say the drive is DOA if your other drives work fine.

actually it is ultra/ata 133 which is compatible with your mother board. I would try removing both dvd drives and just hooking up the hd to that cable.

I have been doing a bit of reading around but still don't know.

Could it be something to do with RAID as I have seen this on my machine before?

I have set the boot order to DVD, Floppy, Hard drive

Raid would not be an issue unless you set it up via bios. Boot order would not make a difference. Other hard drive is the same type and working. Try a known working power plug from one of your dvd drives. Listen to see if you can hear it "spin up". If not DOA.

OK, thanks, yeah defo an IDE.

Tried to hook it up to the DVD ribbon with the DVD's disconnected but no joy.

I'll try a know power cable now.

Cheers for ya help CarnageX & hefemeister

Just tried the HD with a known ribbon and power cable, it was not recognised in the BIOS but it did make some clicking noises as if it was trying do do something?

Can I check if it is broken or working in some way?

Thanks

clicking noises are not good. whirring sounds are. Is it a new drive if so return it. If it is an old one you are probably out of luck.

Its an old one so it looks like I'm knackered!

I'll have a shop around for a new one.

Thanks for ya help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom