Samsung 160g pata HD seen as 32g

Status
Not open for further replies.

nu2duo

In Runtime
I've been using the same hard drive on the same computer for over 1yr now and it always showed up as 160g. Yesterday, I ran into some problems and was forced to reinstall XP Pro. I tried and tried to reinstall XP Pro for a couple of hours and nothing. After reformatting the hard drive, I got a blank screen...over and over. Then I turned off the computer for 30min. Came back and this time I successfully installed XP Pro. However, I soon realized that my c drive was only 32gigs. I tried partition magic and also showed up as 32gig. Bios too shows a 32gig hard drive.
The computer in question is a shuttle xpc. So the problem isn't with Windows. Right? So how did the bios get messed up? This is very confusing and I'm ticked off too since some very important files are lost.
BTW, I previously had this hard drived partioned into two sections. A 40 gig partition and 120gig. the 120 was used to back up files.
Please help me!!!

Nope

Nope, only showing 32g. What can I do to completely and I mean completely erase and reformat the hd?

dont you have to get an update for windows xp sp2 in order to have the operating system able to read hard drives over 120GB? i have a 160GB and when i installed windows xp, it didnt even detect it until i got that update. i hope that helps.

and oh yeah. for erasing completely your hard drive, you can buy programs like killdisc or something.

but i didnt do that. what i did was get my boot drive and hook it up to another computer as a slave, and then i reformat that drive by using discwizard. and then i fresh install windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom