Same motherboard, different temperatures? :s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrantic

In Runtime
Before I RMA'ed my Asus P5B-E, I got two weeks of enjoyable life out of it. My CPU ran at 28-30 degrees idle, and 35 stressed. Then I overclocked it and it ran about 35 idle and 45 stressed.

Because the motherboard died pretty quickly, I got mine replaced yesterday (FINALLY...) installed it all today and I'm back, but I've seen that my cpu temperature is now 40-44 degrees idle, without overclock.

The setup has not changed. My graphics card still runs around the same temps as far as I know (35 idle) and the motherboard is 32 degrees. Do you think this is a sensor issue? I know that I applied a bit more thermal grease on this one than before (Scythe Ninja by the way), so that could also be something to look at, but I doubt that would cause a temperature rise of 12-ish degrees.

What do you think?

I'm using Asus PC Probe to check the temps. I'm guessing that, since it's Asus software, it uses the same information from the sensor the BIOS does. But I haven't checked the BIOS temps yet.

The heatsink feels very cool, almost as cool as when it's off, that's why I'm having doubts about the sensor. But I want certainty before I start overclocking now.

EDIT: The BIOS shows similar temperatures. My idle temp has now risen to 45-50 since I moved the pc to my room. I've activated performance mode on the fans in the BIOS rather than auto... but that doesn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom