Running Slow... post moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish2284

Baseband Member
Alright, so I have what is a common question but think I have cleared the usual answers so please give it a full read.

My girlfriend just got a Dell Dimension 3000 Celeron D desktop about 2 months ago. It has in the past 3 weeks been running very very slow. It will take a solid 3-4 minutes simply to open netscape. I have no idea why this would happen.

She is running a Celeron D processor
512 MB of RAM at 400 MHz
80 GB 7200 RPM HD (that is about 1/2 full)

She has uninstalled a lot of the "crap" she put on when she first got it, and has cleared her history and temp. internet files.

I thought it was her RAM but 512MB seems like it would be fine considering mine runs perfectly fine on the same amount and I have twice as much stuff on my computer, not to mention it is 3 years older.

Is there something I am missing? I am wondering if anyone knows a simple things I might be over looking before sitting on hold with Dell for an hour.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by PZEROFGH
REFORMAT!!!

anyways check for spyware etc, viruses. do a hdd check. defrag. disk clean up.

three programs i use

1) spybot search & destroy
2) ad aware
3) CCleaner

you can just go to filehippo.com and download these if you dont alreayd have them

Running Slow

Alright, so I have what is a common question but think I have cleared the usual answers so please give it a full read.

the usual answers, all you said that you have no idea why its running slow. and its a dell thats the whole point of why its going slow

--------------------------------------------------------
My reply

quote:Originally posted by PZEROFGH

the usual answers, all you said that you have no idea why its running slow. and its a dell thats the whole point of why its going slow

Sorry for the 'newbie' level of this question, but....why would I need to reformat a brand new computer? I have run the spyware, virus, etc programs and nothing.... and the usual answers I have seen before are, clean your history, temp files, cookies, etc. you need new ram....etc.

It ran perfectly fine the first month or so, then began to slow down. Or am I just wrong in my thinking of Dell.... I just cant imagine a company staying in business selling slow slow machines.

ps. thanks for the fast reply.

lol. you could just let the mod move it lol. anyways i sitll think its just a dell.

didnt even think about it.... i appreciate the input though.... mental note -> Dell sucks

...? anyways. so are you sure you delted all the viruses spyware. i dont think so

Norton, Ad Aware, Spyware S&D, all run... turned up 1 hit for adware and it was deleted. I ran disk defrag and disk clean up as well.

CCLEANER!! and do the hdd check. my computer > right click C drive > properties > tools > check now > check al the boxes and hit start or scan now > restart and watch it go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom