Running a computer outside of its case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finis

Baseband Member
how would i use my computer if i had all of the parts and no case, just lay it out on a piece of cardboard and go? are there any dangers? all idears and surrgestions are welcome

how would i use my computer if i had all of the parts and no case, just lay it out on a piece of cardboard and go? are there any dangers? all idears and surrgestions are welcome
Yup that's how to do it basically as mentioned above ^. Added dangers may be extended to how much dust is around also, as it can just rest on it without any fans and stuff to help blow it away.

thanks, is there a amount of time where this becoms unhealthy, what about the underside of the mobo heating up? my case is arriving in about a week so i intend to run it on a desk untill it arrives

thanks, is there a amount of time where this becoms unhealthy, what about the underside of the mobo heating up? my case is arriving in about a week so i intend to run it on a desk untill it arrives
Don't think it would heat up in that aspect, it should run fine. Just take a bit extra caution of the surroundings, keeping it away from dust; moving it around or making any sudden shifts.

Thanks for the help and here it is

23032010031.jpg

Looks like some pretty fancy gear that you've got there. However I'd like to present an alternative view. Apart from testing just to see everything power up, I wouldn't run anything outside of the case. There's a few reasons for this, some of which have been mentioned already:
- dust
- accidents dropping things or getting caught on things
- i think some components need to be earthed to avoid damage
- everything is exposed to getting zapped and damaged by static discharge (especially sitting on that bit of paper
- some computers are very sensitive to Electro Magnetic / radio interference (I remember many of the old macs had shielding everwhere, and many PC's rely on the metal case.

do you think it would be best if i got rid of the bit of cardboard and just had it on the table, also i am using this as my computer for the next week, so i was even considering gaming but now im not to sure, any advice, is there a way to discharge the parts, is static really a problem???

The gear the is being used is:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
GPU: Galaxy Nividia 8800GT 512MB the thing the is attached to it is a new big-*** heatsink and a fan
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (just the min speed)
crappy hard drive...

do you think it would be best if i got rid of the bit of cardboard and just had it on the table, also i am using this as my computer for the next week, so i was even considering gaming but now im not to sure, any advice, is there a way to discharge the parts, is static really a problem???

The gear the is being used is:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
GPU: Galaxy Nividia 8800GT 512MB the thing the is attached to it is a new big-*** heatsink and a fan
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (just the min speed)
crappy hard drive...
If you had the anti-static bag/paper thing it came in, you could use that. To me it should work fine no matter koinonas has some good points. I once did this, on tile though, which is worst than you got there...an it all worked fine, kept it so for a couple of days lol. Fully functioning and connected to the net also. Might be different though now, not sure how the parts are now-a-days. I experimented with this like 5 years ago.

Edit: The optical drives and hdd won't really matter, it's more of the board to be concerned about (and it's parts connected to it such as any cards).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom