Router Going to Kick the Bucket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardmp92

Daemon Poster
Hello,

I've had a Motorola Surfboard cable modem since 2003 and a DI-624 wireless router since 2005, both been working fine, but recently have random disconnects, then reconnects. I've tried different LAN cables, different ports on the wireless router, updated firmware, etc, but still does it. I havent subjected either to extreme heat, abuse, etc.

1. Are these typically warning signs either is going kaput?

2. What is the expected life for these?

Thanks.

If it happens on both wireless and wired I would lean towards a router failing on you.
You have done an excellent job of performing all of the normal troubleshooting techniques.

As far as expected life, as with any device, they can fail at any time.
For some reason somewhere around 5 years is when routers start to fail on me.

according to this study:
Findings of Study on Router & LAN Switch Use
My experience is shared by others as well.

* Expected replacement of equipment already in possession: average 5.36 years.
* Past replacement record: average 5.44 years

(4) Conclusion

We can conclude from this study of business users that the legal useful life of 10 years applied to routers and LAN switches does not reflect the actual user cycle and that the 5-year legal useful life applied to servers and PCs would be appropriate. Based on this study's findings, CIAJ plans to urge for changes to an appropriate useful lifespan and to continue conducting a similar line of study.

Are you sure it isn't your cable modem or the lines? I had similar issues it turned out to be the modem and lines and not my router.

Are you sure it isn't your cable modem or the lines? I had similar issues it turned out to be the modem and lines and not my router.

You think he's losing his wireless connection because of his cable modem? I highly doubt it. I can't even think of a reason that would happen unless the cable modem sent a power surge every time it disconnected or something.

Dan

Great discussion guys. I was thinking the same thing...would this just be my router or/and also my router? I know it's not my cables or connection...I replaced the cables and I also moved into another house and have the same problem.

Maybe I start w/ replacing the router and see if that fixes it...then replace cable modem?

Great discussion guys. I was thinking the same thing...would this just be my router or/and also my router? I know it's not my cables or connection...I replaced the cables and I also moved into another house and have the same problem.

Maybe I start w/ replacing the router and see if that fixes it...then replace cable modem?

Definitely. The important symptom here is whether you're losing internet or just losing wireless connection. If you're losing wireless connection, it MUST be your router, because even if you turn off the cable modem it won't interrupt your wireless connection. IF you're losing both, it's most likely your router. Another useful test would be whether your wired computer continues to have internet access when your wireless loses connection.

Dan

Router then modem IMO, but he never said it was only wireless, and what not, I have seen routers disconnect PCs before if they had no connection on the WAN side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom