Router/connection issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to s37d
Default Router/connection issue

Hi. I'm trying to fix a computer for a friend, and it's giving me some issues. I believe it to be the router/wireless network but I'm not sure. It's a fairly new laptop w/XP. You see, it was working for quite awhile, but recently stopped. After playing with it for a little bit, I was able to identify which of the wireless signals was the one coming from the house. After I found it I tried to connect, but it wouldn't let me...asked for a key. It's WPA and I think the key was somehow lost, maybe because of a windows update reset or something, not sure.

Anyway, since they lost/forgot the key, so I tried a few passwords that they commonly used. Interestingly, no matter what password I type in, it appeared to connect, but access to the web or the router config couldn't be established. The router's address came up when I used ipconfig /all, just no connection to the internet. They said they had the line checked and it was alright, so not sure what it could be.

Thinking maybe I need to reset the WPA key and put a new one in, not sure how that's done on a Linksys wireless G router. Or maybe it could be a problem w/the router itself...not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: Router/connection issue

You can either run a ethernet wire to access the router or you need to reset the router itself.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes but resetting it didn't allow me to access it's config through explorer. Is hitting that little reset button on the back supposed to reset all the info, including the WPA passkey? Because it didn't. I'm not sure how to do that.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Does this sound like a router issue to you? Do you recommend that I take my own router over to his house and try using that?
Closed Thread