Jayce

Fully Optimized
Situation:

Computer Lab.
30 Computers.
HP dc7100. All identical.

FOG Open Source Imaging Solution.
Network based. PXE boot. Linux server.

I imaged the entire lab in no time at all. But 3 of these 7100's acted weird. These 3 in particular did not have the "F12 Network Service Boot" option at the BIOS. I checked the BIOS, which is password protected, and network booting is enabled. Even after disabling and re-enabling it, it still didn't pop up.

Confused, I ended up using our time consuming hard drive cloner to just to a direct disk copy of the drives. So ultimately, these 3 problematic computers were cloned via hard drive cloner whereas the rest of the lab were cloned via FOG imaging software over PXE boot. And yes - These were all identical images. When I used the hard drive cloner, my "master" drive was one of the recently FOG'd computers.

Afterwards, the F12 Network Service Boot option appeared on the HP BIOS splash screen.

WTF?!!!!!?!?!?!?! At this point, the hard drive has no involvement. How is it possible that at the BIOS level of booting that the option magically pops back up? The only thing that changed was the image on the hard drive, but at this point the hard drive shouldn't have been a factor yet.

How is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom