RGB Video cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelly212

Beta member
Ok now before everyone laughs at me.. i already know this is a probably a stupid question, but i cant find the answer anywhere.

So i have this LCD projector sitting around, and i want to hook it up to my computer to use as a monitor. It has all kinds of inputs on it, RGB S-Video, Component and such. I had it hooked up to my old computer through the S-Video, I have a video card with S-Video output on it.
But this new computer doesnt have a S-Video output, and my old video card (PCI) wont fit in this new one (PCI Express) so i cant use that.

What im trying to figure out, can i hook up the projector with the RGB output/input. Ive looked all over, and i cant seem to find a Female-to-Female RGB Cable. Do they even exist, and if so where can i get one. And would that even work?

Thanks!

EDIT: Another option would be to buy a new video card, but this computer is strange. its a dell optiplex gx280, and its a pci express low-profile card slot. i didnt look much, but from what i saw, all the cards that fit that were horrible expensive, like 800 dollars or something. Im not even sure which card to get, because i dont know if it would work with my computer... like i said im not very good with this stuff.

um i think its called RGB... its the connector for just a normal monitor.. the basic connector on like all computers whats that one called?

its called component video. and female to female you can go to wal-mart and buy packages of these I think this is what u want
Picture2.jpg

no an51r, thats not walk im talking about. im talking about the 9 or so pin connector that screws in, the one thats attached to most basic monitors.

you mean vga or dvi in reference to monitors. RGB is red, blue and green which is considered component video cable. NOw in your question you referenced a female to female rgb connection which could be accomplished with that item which allows you to connect a male video cable on each side.

ok its not dvi so ya i think its vga. so both the computer and projector have male vga connectors, where can i find a cable to connect them?

ok i spent some time looking at pictures of all these cables, and i think i got it finnaly. i need a male to male vga cable to connect them, now i just gotta find somewhere around here to buy one. i checked walmart, they only had male to female. anyways i got my answer. thanks for all your help everyone.. and for being patient with a dumb blonde girl heh.
thankies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom