Restarts, cant boot, im fed up. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2005, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to Nothingface
Default Restarts, cant boot, im fed up.

I built the system myself about a year ago, and try and fix everything myself eventhou i don't know that much, but ive thrown in the towel on this one, and this forum is a last ditch effort before i suck it up and bring my computer to a repair tech in a store.

Motherboard- Asus P4P800 SE, Socket 478
CPU- P4 3.0GHz
Memory- 1Gb dual channel, kingston pc3200
Video card- Ati X800pro AGP
Sound card- Old soundblaster i dont even remember
CD/RW is a basic HP, no DvD rom
Hard drives:
2 34g SATA WD Raptors in a RAID 0
1 IDE WD 80gb HD
450w Power supply
Windows XP Pro

Im sure i missed something, but i hope not.

Few months ago my computer started to just restart on its own. It could restart once a week, once every two weeks, or 5 times in 30 minutes, it varies greatly. I did a memory test to check memory and cache and found no errors. Theres no conflicts in my device manager.
Today the computer restarted and i got a usual bluescreen, except this time i got a different error.
It said there was a problem with the file ati3duag.dll
When i restarted the computer, i would get to teh windows XP loading screen, and it would then just go black and nothing would happen. When i try to boot in safe mode, i get a list of files on my screen which stops at agp440.sys and nothing happens. Currently i can only get to windows if i load the last good configuration. I have a insane headache and i have given up on this issue, if anyone has any thoughts on what is happening i would appreciate the info.

I use motherboard monitor to try and monitor the CPU temp it reads the CPU is average 96f and case is 98f, when i play games such as world of warcraft or battlefield 2 it goes up to about 115f and then when im done with the game is drops back down to 96f.
I have 3 fans in case and i even opened the side to keep good airflow incase overheating could be a prob, which i dont think it is.

Last note, i use catalyst 5.8 for my Ati card, but it also crashed with each version before it.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to t3hn4t3

I seem to have the exact same problem. I own the same card, but it's actually the Sapphire ATI X800pro PCI-E. Occasionally, while attempting to watch a video or a dvd, I will get the Windows XP blue screen of death, telling me that there is an error in ati3duag.dll.

One way I found to correct it is to re-install the driver. There was a recent update on ATI's website, I believe.

Another thing I also found with this card is that your PSU has to be large enough to handle the card (I think ATI recommends 350 watts). Originally, I had this card split off of a power cable splitter, from the main power cable from my PSU. Once I moved it to a main power cable that ran directly into the PSU without splitting any, it seemed to run with no problems.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has experienced this problem, and the steps they took to solve it.
Closed Thread