Restarting under load - is it PSU?

I know exactly what it means, I'll quote for your convenience.

Units like the P2 in my server, or even the G3s I've built with recently are efficient for almost the complete wattage range. The gold units are at 90% in the middle with varying percentages the rest of the board. The complete band is still within gold spec though.

Now, that isn't quite the topic of the thread though. These units both of us have quoted are both Gold rated quality units. The topic at hand is **** units, and tbh not even that. What he was trying to say was always get double the capacity needed which is really only true for low quality units because they're rated at peak wattage. If this guy bought the 400W Insignia PSU the other dude keeps talking about while his 2500k and 970 will take about 325W while playing BF1 (if that) it's going to blow because the Insignia is only good for at max 300W continuous before it'll go kapow. Not to mention, there's no real efficiency in those to begin with as they're junk. He has a 650W OCZ though, which even though it used to be a solid unit, it's probably just on it's way out due to age. Even if he got a GTX 1080 today to pair with his 2500k he still wouldn't actually need more than say a 550W G3, which the picture you posted quite literally proves this. Whether he got a 1050ti or a 1080 the PSU is still going to provide 87-90% efficiency across the band. Not only that, it'll be quite literally able to handle a 650W load all day and run fine around 87% which is still within Gold spec. That's why I said before both of what he was saying is typically only true with lower quality units. If he got a Plat branded unit like my P2 in my server it'll be 90% or higher from 20% usage up. If we split to the other side of the spectrum and the irrelevant topic at hand, if he bought an 800W unit or bigger like everybody did back in the olden days he wouldn't even be in that 20% range where the actual efficiency starts. Here pretty soon I'd say within the next year or two we'll have more Titanium PSUs rolling out for 110v here in Murica and those are 90% from 10% to 100%. That's why I always say get a quality unit no matter what unless budget is just that low. These Gold rated PSUs are under 100 bucks and pretty easily attainable. There's not much excuse these days to get a piece of junk unless you were just caught with your pants down and need an emergency unit from Microcenter.

actually.... I was only re-affirming what c0rr0sive stated, The PSU would run at it's best efficiency between 40% to 60% of it's load

Last edited:
actually.... I was only re-affirming what c0rr0sive stated, The PSU would run at it's best efficiency between 40% to 60% of it's load
Exactly, and I was correcting that from 20 to 100, it's a gold rated unit. There isn't much difference between 87 and 90. I was also expanding on his other point of needing double the capacity which just isn't needed anymore unless you're buying junk.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've installed a new PSU (EVGA 650W G3).
Unfortunately after booting, a stick of ram seems to have died. Sent off the ram to G skill for an RMA so been without my computer for about a week. Stupidly did not send it via recorded delivery (£22!!) so here's hoping it hasn't gone missing...
Hopefully I'll have the new ram soon so can update if the issue have been fixed.

90% chance it was RAM to begin with... Just saying...
Possibly, but memtest was never a problem so I had thought it wouldn't be ram. I guess memtest isn't a 100% way to tell though?

Either way, hopefully it'll be fixed but frustrating that I won't actually know if it was PSU or ram. Assuming it doesn't still crash (I really hope).

my sons gaming computer was doing something similar. he tried and tried to figure it out, but never could. anyway, a month or so he wanted to increase the amount of ram he was running because of a new games requirements. his mo.bo is capable of running 4 sticks, and he had been running 8gb (2-4gb sticks). we ordered him a new 8gb stick which should have doubled his memory. but when he made the change, the computer started acting funny right off the bat. we thought maybe he had gotten a bad stick, or that running 3 sticks was causing the issue. so he took it back out, but the computer still was wonkey. so he took out both of the old sticks and reinstalled the new one, and the computer worked like new. he added back in one stick, and the problem returned. so he swapped it out with the other old stick, and the computer works fine. so it now has 12gb of ram, a 4gb stick and an 8 gb stick. so he had a stick go bad while he was gaming at some point, and he did not even know it. so that is an avenue to check. ask one of your friends or family member to borrow a stick or two, and see if that cures your troubles. if it does not, you can scratch that off your list, and try something else. having a good friend with a similar system is pretty handy if he or she is willing to lend you parts for diagnosis. just make sure to clearly mark who's parts are who's, and if possible, have them be there as you do the testing. that way there is no mixing up of parts. and you get to keep a friend. the big problem with doing that however, is if you break, or your system harms his/her parts, you have to replace those as well as your own.

Perhaps it was ram then! Good advice about swapping out parts, but unfortunately none of my friends or family are techy so I don't have anyone to exchange parts with :(.

Ram RMA has gone through so should have new ram by the 25th. Very impressed with G Skill.

Back
Top Bottom