Resizing Partition Failed

UsernameTaken

In Runtime
Tried to resize my primary partition and add a secondary one in Partition Manager. I left the room and let it do its thing. Come back to find the operation failed and now my computer boot loops into "Startup Repair is checking your system for problems..."

Where do I go from here? Never had a problem with PartitionMagic, screw this Paragon crap.

Last edited:
Try running a chkdsk on the drive if you have a Windows disc. Boot off of the disc, go to Recovery Options, and pick Command Prompt (might be able to get to it through Startup Repair as well). Type in:

chkdsk c: /f /r

no recovery disc, no disc drive :(
pc is a vizio all in one ca24-a2
i was just about to install norton ghost and back everything up before doing this, when trying to install ghost windows said it was known to have compatibility issues so i put it off. major self hate right now. currently creating a hiren's usb flash drive. wish me luck...

[e] Hiren's usb key created, what can I do with it though? I'm afraid to mess things up even more...

Last edited:
This is why I always like to use CloneZilla for imaging and GParted for formatting/resizing partitions. Both have separate LiveCD's or you can use PartedMagic which has both of them (as well as other tools on it).

good to know those programs for use in the future. I have created a Hiren's BootCD USB Key as well as a PartedMagic one. What programs/features can I use from these to possibly salvage my files so I can try again?

If you can get a command prompt, try these:
Bootrec.exe /fixboot
Bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

and if all else fails...you can try
Bootrec.exe /fixmbr

, but try the other two first.

good to know those programs for use in the future. I have created a Hiren's BootCD USB Key as well as a PartedMagic one. What programs/features can I use from these to possibly salvage my files so I can try again?

Not sure what all features are available on Hiren's; haven't used it in years honestly.

Is there some utility on there that can run a chkdsk? If not, you could always get a PE disc (such as BartPE) which is a core-windows boot disc, and lets you run some basic Windows stuff.

got to a command prompt and tried to run chkdsk /f it said
Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Vizio recovery partition. I don't know. How can I get around this? I think if I could get around the write protection I would be able to fix this.

bootrec /fixboot said:
The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and volume is not corrupted.

bootrec /rebuildbcd said:
Scanning all disks for Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

bootrec /fixmbr said:
The operation completed successfully.

j7ZF3.jpg

Thanks so much guys

When you ran a chkdsk, did you specify the C: drive? Run this command, as I stated above:

chkdsk c: /f /r

Back
Top Bottom