Replacing DDR slot on new M/B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinky88

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I recently bought an MSI 865PE Neo2-P motherboard.

When installing the RAM, one of the 184 conductors became detached from the chip and when I powered it up that slot shorted. Filled the remaining slots with RAM in every conceivable combination, one by one=no boot, so I figured the board was stuffed.

I was thinking about it again tonight and decided to have a look at the underside of the board to see if the slot could be replaced and found six pins that look to be holding the RAM slot in, question is, can it really be that easy to replace the slot ?

Is there anything I need to be ultra careful with ? I do not have an old M/B to experiment with, I thought it maybe wise to ask the question before proceeding to buy a new slot.

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Cheers from downunder.

Pretty sure you can't just go out and buy a new RAM slot for the board. Plus it'd be very difficult to replace without the right tools, as if you apply too much heat with the soldering iron it'll damage the board. IMO, if you want it replaced that bad, send the board in for RMA. If you recently bought it, it should be under warranty for replacement as that sounds like a factory defect, which should be covered.

Did that myself with a motherboard a few years back. You can not replace a DIMM slot. Be thankful that the motherboard still works.

When I saw the 6 pins along the RAM slot on the underside of the motherboard, it's incredible how the mind thinks (wishful thinking), I didn't notice the 184 soldered joints. I am now aware it is impossible to fix.

Thanks to those who replied, appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom