Replacing Broken Screen With HDTV - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy Replacing Broken Screen With HDTV

Recently my laptops monitor was broken, to the extent that non of the desktop is visible. I currently have the correct cable to wire my laptop up to my Samsung HDTV to use this instead.

After wiring up the laptop and setting the tv to the correct 'PC' Channel the laptops desktop is visible for all of .. 1 second and promptly dissapears, the tv then switches its self onto standby.

I am looking for a solution without having to replace the old screen or purchasing a new cable.

Thanks Tom

Old 01-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Replacing Broken Screen With HDTV

Hello,

What laptop do you have? Do you not see anything on screen during POST (when you first power on the PC), even on your HDTV when you connect it?

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 01-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Nothing is visible on the tv or the laptop screen, all i get is the initial flash of the desktop on the tv, which is then replaced by 'no signal' and the tv then turns onto standby and the resolution in the laptop settings changes to 800x600.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy Re: Replacing Broken Screen With HDTV

bumpp.

Need help to sort this out dont have another computer to use regularly need a solution asap, thank you.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

sounds like the laptop isn't capable of running on the hd res. what you could do is buy a new screen and that's pretty straight forward to replace.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy Re: Replacing Broken Screen With HDTV

Well, that is a pretty straight forward solution but due to the lack of funds atm to buy a new screen.

Which is why i asked for a way for this to be resolved WITHOUT money, and i'm pretty sure the laptop must be able to run on the res as, like i said the screen does flash up with the desktop perfectly displayed but then dissapears and displays no signal. If it couldn't i imagine it not even trying? or if it did not being displayed properly?

Anyone have any possible solutions other than just buying a new screen?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Bumppppp againnnn kinda need this fixingg sorry for the impatience but its kind of needed.

ty ~
Old 01-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

does the screen work until the loading of windows? i had that problem, i went into the advanced boot options and booted vga mode then changed the res there. fixed it for me.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If by the screen you mean the laptop then no as i said it was smashed and didnt display anything, and the HD TV displays all of a second of any part of the system desktop or boot sequence and cuts out, cant get long enough to configure anything.

Closed Thread