Repeat hard drive failures.

1980FXWG

Beta member
Hey folks, I'm a newbie so please bare with me.
I have a 2006 Dell XPS400 That has always worked like a champ. About 6 months ago the troubles began. The power supply went out (no start, no power lights) and I upgraded from a 375 watt to a 650 watt.
A few weeks later it wouldn't boot up. I took it to a local shop where I was told that the hard drive was bad (160GB Seagate Barracuda). They replaced it with a 500 GB Western Digital and told me that they were unable to recover any data off of it.
Life was good for about a month, then same thing, no boot. I took it back to the shop and was told that the new drive had failed "we run into one every once in a while". They warranted the part but charged me a $20.00 "bench fee" for diagnosing that their part had failed. Once again, no data was recovered. I voiced my concern about the drive's short life span and asked if something else could be causing it to happen. I was assured that they had run a full system scan and no other problems were found.
It worked fine for about 3 more months and refused to boot again. I returned it to the shop and was told again that the hard drive had failed. Again it was replaced under warranty and again I was charged a $20.00 bench fee. This time I was told that if it occurred again that would indicate the hard drive controller must be bad and would probably come out better replacing the computer. I reminded them that they had told me before that they had run a full system test and they told me that it was occurring so fast that they couldn't catch it.
I feel like I'm being ripped off because I keep paying them to diagnose the computer and they are apparently just replacing the bad part without fixing the problem.
My question is, has anyone heard of this before? Is there anything i can do to verify the causal part myself? I am really becoming disillusioned with this shop and get the feeling that I'm being given the mushroom treatment.
Thanks in advance for any help.

They are taking your money. If 2 hard drives messed up, they should have pulled the computer apart and tried to find a problem, not just keep charging you $20 and replacing a part. I am gonna take a wild stab in the dark and say the motherboard could be stuffed. Is it all dusty and burnt? If so, take a close look at your motherboard. Don't let those *******s charge you $20 for just getting warranty, have a look at the sockets and other main parts that could be causing this problem.

You're getting scammed. First off, pop the HDD's into another PC (if possible) and see if those babies really do run. If so, it's the rest of the PC or a hardware bug.

Second of all, do a THOROUGH system looksee. Check everything- cable connections, shorts, burning smell, etc.

Let us know the results

Back
Top Bottom