Repair or Reformat External HD problem

GuilleCummings

Solid State Member
Ok, yesterday I bought an enclosure for a 1Tb Hitachi Hard Drive that I took from my old PC. I connected it to a Mac Book pro and it was only in read mode. I decided to format the Hard Drive on a PC, and when I when I connected it to the Mac again it wanted to do the time machine back up, I said yes and stopped half way, it then said the device was ejected improperly, which wasn't true as it was still connected perfectly. After that every time I tried connecting it the Mac would say, can't initialize and it would give me the option of going to Disk utility, ignoring or ejecting. I tried erasing it in Disk Utility and it didn't work. I tried using DiskWarrior and it got stuck on Step 1 for about 5 hours, I tried TechTool Pro, left it overnight and instead of the 5 hours that were left, it had 15 hours left, so I decided to see if there was a PC way to do it, as I needed to use my laptop and where I had it wasn't going to work. I tried TestDisk and it came out saying "no bootable partition". I don't need to recover any data, I just want to be able to use the HD as an External HD. It had no information of importance. Is there any solution to this?

what type of mac are you using it with? you probably just need to format it to a partition that mac likes to use. also, what kind of hard drive and enclosure is it?

latest version of the OS? and what kind of hdd was it?

Edit: do you need to use it on windows as well, or jsut mac os?

if only mac, are you using the usb hdd for time machine?

ok well, you could format it as HFS+ OR exFAT and it should work fine

however, if you need time machine to be usable, only HFS+ will work.

Back
Top Bottom