Removing a USB Flash Drive from a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siena1383

Baseband Member
I just read on another (non-tech) forum that if you disconnect a flash drive without "shutting down properly" first, you risk losing your data.

I've always just pulled mine out of the USB port when I was done, with the PC still running. Should I be shutting down the PC before removing the flash drive from it? Or is there some way to shut down a flash drive?

There are ways in each OS for the safe removal of flash drives (and yes there's a risk but it's so minimal I don't bother). In XP it's just 'Safe Removal', and in Linux I believe you just Unmount the drive.

they mean to safely remove hardware there will be a little green arrow by you clock on your task bar but to be honest i have also always just removed mine for years and never lost a file the point of usb is that it is hot swappable where did you get this info from

If I may interject here, I have read that in computer magazines, as well as other places. But I usually remove it the "safe" way, but sometimes in a hurry, I don't bother. I never noticed a problem by just pulling it out, personally. I thought I would share that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom