removing thermal compound - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default removing thermal compound

i recently bought a pc on ebay and when it arrived. the heatsink off the cpu came off and it left some of the thermal compound on the back of the video card. at firist, i didnt notice the thermal compound and tried to boot it. didnt get any error beep, but the video just show a white screen then other color with verical lines runing thorugh them. when i relize that there was compound on the video card, i tried cleaning it with 91% isopropyl alcohol, but its still showing the same error. im guess theres a small amount left where the chip is attached to the board. well else can i do?

Old 08-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10
Default Re: removing thermal compound

You use a coffee filter as a wipe and use that alcohol substance you have there. Wipe all of it off, but don't let it touch the edge.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

well, i tried cleaning it already, the problem is that i think theres some residue left of the compound in areas i cant reach. like where the black chip is attached to the board of the video card.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10

Black chip? You mean the memory? Is it working properly, or do you have some problems?