reinstalled windows but cant access file

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoizbmr

Solid State Member
Ok, i reinstalled windows xp on my laptop and it seems to be working fine but i can't access my files. the folder that all my music, pictures and everything else is in is named "Terrell bka Rell&BMR" and every time i click on it, it says

"C:/Documents and Settings/Terrell bka Rell&BMR is not
accessible. Acces is denied"

What does this mean? Is there ANY way i can access those files? If i take this hard drive from my laptop and put it into another laptop, could i get the files that way or what. Also, in my music folder, it had all of the songs that i downloaded right before my computer stopped working as well as other music files from the past. How did that happen. Can i anyhow save my files from the hard drive or what? Does it have a virus on it or what? Will somebody PLEASEEEEE HELP ME.

Did you try this

From Windows Help
"Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.
Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
Click the new owner, and then click OK."

when i right-click it, only tabs there are "general, sharing and customize" what else can i do or are the files under something else? I know that the files are on the hard drive because when i go to see how much space is on the hard drive, it says bout 1.5gigabytes and i had bout 20gigabytes worth of music on it so where is it at?

what do you mean by encrypted? that doesn't sound good and i am the owner of the files. how do i get to them?

only the account that you used to login before, before you reinstalled xp, can only access those files...now that you have a new login account, it won't let you access those files because you are not the same person/owner.

before you reinstalled xp, did you made your my documents folder private?

no i didn't make the file private but when i right-click the folder that all of the files are suppose to be in, where it says the size of the file and all of that, it says "0". So in that case, was the files deleted or what? would they be in another folder or what? do i have 2 restart the computer and do the whole command prompt stuff or what? since i have a new windows logon name, how do i access the files?

the files are in there...it says 0 cuz maybe you don't have permissions to view it's contents.

you can try to use the command prompt to c if u can access it...if not, well hope that some1 else here can help you out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom