Originally posted by bmxfreakrider
i get same problem with ctrl + alt + del. pops up for a sec then goes away. personally i think its spyware / virus
...without a doubt :freak: .
Unfortunately in this instance, a spyware, adware and virus scan won't fix the issue because the scans won't repair damage that has already been made to the system.
Still, make sure you've update all virus, spyware and adware definitions, then complete a full system scan, to remove and malware.
Two of the systems in my house have experienced the same problem. taskmgr.exe (the task manager which appears when you press ctrl+alt+del), cmd.exe and regedit.exe would not execute when entered into Run, and instead a command line window would appear briefly, then disappear. Both were infected with the W32.Alcra.B virus...
There are however, other viruses and variants which also create the same problem.
However, here is a generic solution you can try...
1. Open windows explorer, then go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\ where C:\ is your Windows XP partition.
2. Go to Tools > Folder Options... > View Tab and ensure that you've unchecked 'Show hidden files and folders', 'Hide extensions for known file types' and 'Hide protected operating system files'.
3. Still at the directory C:\WINDOWS\system32\ located and delete the following files if they exist:
cmd.com , regedt32.com , taskmgr.com
4. Then in explorer, go to the directory C:\WINDOWS\ and delete the following file if it exists:
5. Now try and execute regedit
using Run and see if it works.