Reformmating a hard drive??

Matthewap44

Beta member
So my friend got a new computer from his friend and he put it together and got it running and tried reformatting the hard drive but the dvd- rom didnt work so i took his hard drive and put it in my computer reformatted it for him and ran a windows 7 64-bit installation disc and it installed correctly and booted up. well when i put his hard drive back into his computer it goes to the windows 7 blue loading screen and then instantly restarts and goes to a screen saying start up normally or launch windows repair system. i took the hard drive back out and put it in my computer and it loaded up fine. Could something be wrong with his ram or cpu?

Last edited:
You can't put windows 7 from one pc to another without some drivers having to be installed for your friends pc and sometimes you'll still get a BSOD because of incompatibility.
Pop the drive back into your friends pc, and use your dvd drive in his pc to install windows in his pc

Joe C is completely right, or you can see if you can boot Windows off a USB drive after creating a virtual image of the disc and then using Sardu, or YUMI to load WIN 7 on the USB drive. There are other methods of using USB device, I just like using YUMI or Sardu because you can set up the drive to be multi-boot which means more than 1 bootable item on a USB drive. I've got all my tools on one drive. Just a suggestion. BUT yes Joe C's method is the best if you are not an advanced user.

You can't put windows 7 from one pc to another without some drivers having to be installed for your friends pc and sometimes you'll still get a BSOD because of incompatibility.
Pop the drive back into your friends pc, and use your dvd drive in his pc to install windows in his pc

It worked. That was my next solution I didn't really want to take stuff out of my computer but it worked. Thanks

I've only ever seen swapping HDD"s work with a Win7 Pro install. Tried it with Home Premium and even Enterprise and both would give the BSOD...but I've transferred a Pro install over to 3 different systems before of my own.

I've had luck doing a switch with premium but only when both boards have the same chipset

I meant different chipsets :p.

One one install, went between 3 different laptops before I decided to reinstall.
T2370 -> T7500 -> i7-740QM

Back
Top Bottom