Recovering Files off Old Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tool462

Baseband Member
Hi there guys,

My mate just gave me an old hard drive and asked if i could recover the files off it.

The hard drive is a Seagate ST35 | A/X, Amstrad 40Mb. [IDE]

Now when I connect it to my computer to try to start my Windows, I get this error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Now this never happens without the old hard drive plugged in. And I'm not unplugging anything else to put this hard drive in.

I looked in my system32 folder and hall.dll is there.

Any help would be good, cheers.

This means nothing to me sorry, I don't know what the problem is, so how am I supposed to just pick one solution out of the air and pray?

I just plugged old hard drive back in again to see if i could find anything out.

I saw that the BIOS settings could even see that the old hard drive was plugged in.

It only saw my DVD drive and my other 2 Hard drives.

My hard drive boot priority is set to my Windows hard drive then my data hard drive. The old drive doesnt show up in here either.

Cheers.

Need to check those jumpers, seems to me that the jumper on the IDE needing recovery is set to master, or possibly master of none.

How many drives do you have on this sytem? Two, the OS and data drive right? Then you are plugging in this other drive?

Unplug everything but the OS drive and the recovery drive and see if that works.

Ok

Here is what the jumper settings look like. There is no legends on the drive to tell me which jumpers do what either.

_
| |
_ _ | | _
|.| . |.| |.| . |.|
| | | | _ | |
|.| . |.| . . |.|
_ _ _

I don't know why that 3rd one is above like that but that's how I got it.

You are right Lex, 1 system drive and 1 data drive.

The Windows drive is in the last plug of my IDE ribbon, and the data is SATA.

I'm just plugging this old one into the other plug on the ribbon cable. I have tried swapping their spots on the cable but that didn't work.

I will shut down now and disconnect both my drives, and see if the old one will work.

Will let you know

Cheers for any help.

Sorry bout that.

Text never works, here's a pic, cheers

2v3521c.jpg

I really don't know what to do here guys so some pointers wouldn't go astray, cheers.

Try taking the jumps off both drives, a putting the master at the end of the cable, and the slave in the middle. On most drives no jumper means cable select.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom