Recovering Data (Images) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Recovering Data (Images)

Please help me! If I sound like I'm begging I am. I am a photography enthusist. I had all my pictures on an external hard drive for the last 5 years. In the process of installing a new computer my husband accidently plugged in the external drive to the wrong port and it shorted out. We have sent it to two companies and both said it was recoverable but the cost was astronomical at least for our small pockets. It is especially important to me because my son passed two years ago and their are many pictures on it of him and his 3 children. Can you recommend a company that would be able to recover the data at a more reasonable rate or any other suggestions. This is what the last company said
"the logic control circuitry is the failure mechanism. The choice is to repair the unit or replace it with one that matches it from a "donor" drive and then transfer the original flash memory contents."

Thank you for any help you can give.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Recovering Data (Images)

Honestly you should just pay a professional and get it done right.

Normally I would say you could take the drive apart and see if you can hookup the drive with an adapter, but if you don't have computer experience AND there are EXTREMELY important files (photos) on this drive you need to pay someone to do it right.

Otherwise you may end up taking the drive apart and destroying the drive and data in the process. If this was just normal data I would say go for it, but those pictures are far too important for you or someone not professional to be messing with.

Data recovery is expensive in cases like your's. Sorry but either pay the money or live with the fact you might destroy the data doing it yourself or having a 'cheap skate' do it.

-Vista SME
Old 03-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Do work.
Send a message via AIM to molsen
Default Re: Recovering Data (Images)

if the photos are as sentimental as you say, then you should really dish out the dough to ensure they are recovered. with the drive's mechanisms shorted out, I can't see any way you could recover the data cheaply

Intel E8400 @ 3.78ghz
8gb (4x2gb) G.SKILL DDR2 1600 @ 420mhz, 5-5-5-12
ASrock P43Twins1600 (hates RAM dividers)
WD Caviar 500gb + 250gb hdd, 32mb cache
eVGA 7900gs @ 585/1700mhz
OCZ GameXStream 600w PSU
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
Cooler Master Centurion 5 case
Closed Thread