recognizing wireless card

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue4paper

In Runtime
Well, i downgraded my sony vaio laptop from vista to xp. Being my first time downgrading from Os's, i didn't make a backup cd or anything so yeah.

But so far I've gotten everything to work quite well, except for the wifi card.

In device manager there's a "?" with a hardware device called "Network controller" which I'm assuming is the wireless, since I've gotten the ethernet to work.

Now after reading more on sony vaio computers, i've learned that sony doesn't offer support to windows xp os's, only vista; which is utter lameness.

Anyways, running the computer off a live cd of ubuntu, i've realized that ubuntu, as usual, has no problem recognizing the hardware and having overall good functionality. Now I'm wondering, is it possible to get some sorta generic drivers for my sony vaio computer to get the wireless to work?

I'm sure there's some way of getting it to work.

Any ideas?

You need to figure out what brand and model the card is, then grab the XP driver, I'm sdure if you google the model and wireless xp, you'll find the fix.

Why is it lame that a manufactuer doesn't support an outdated OS?

You don't see win98 drivers, so why expect XP? Vistas been so much better than XP, that I've wiped my XP drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom