Rebuilding PC - won't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

codam

Solid State Member
I've just bought an 8800GT graphics card, and am rebuilding my computer, but it won't boot. This is my setup:

AMD 3800+ CPU (not from my previous set-up)
Inno3d 8800GT
2gb RAM
450w PSU
MSI K8N Neo4 motherboard

I've got dual-boot for Vista and XP. I can get to BIOS and everything fine, and select which OS I want to boot with, but Vista has a BSOD just as it starts the loading bar, and similarly for XP. However XP (but not Vista) will boot in safe mode. I've tried another hard-drive with XP installed, and the same happens.
The only thought I've had is that perhaps the PSU isn't powerful enough, is this what would happen if that were the case?

Any help with the problem would be greatly appreciated.

I had slightly similar problem myself once and the problem was the Drivers for the Graphics Card. Try that .

Good luck

Well I installed the graphics card drivers in XP safe mode, but that hasn't done anything.

If your mobo has onboard graphics you could eliminate the possibility of graphics card drivers causing this by trying that.

Just a thought.

What's the error code that it gives you? There should be some words at the top in all capitals, an then at the bottom there should be a STOP error code, something like 0x00000##, where ## are numbers or letters.

You may have to disable reboot on crash (press F8 before OS loading screen, and pick "Disable on system failure" or something of that sort).

My motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics.

And the error code is
STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF768C750, 0xF79F742C, 0xF79F7128)

How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error in Windows XP

Link to the article for that error code.

Also, have you tried DriverCleaner Pro to remove all of your nvidia drivers? You have to use it in safemode anyway, so as long as you can get into Safe Mode you'll be all right. I'd recommend giving that a try, since that article I linked to mentioned trying to uninstall drivers (worth a try).

Thanks for the link, which seems to suggest that it's a driver issue.

I tried Driver Cleaner, and then reinstalled the new drivers, but it didn't help. Would a fresh install of either Vista or XP solve the problem?

You said you tried a different drive though too, didn't you?

Could be a bad card...have you tried reinstalling your old card?

OK well I followed one of the methods in the Microsoft troubleshooting link and removed all third party drivers, and I was then able to boot directly XP! I've installed the new 8800GT drivers and it seems to be working fine, now I'll just need to reinstall all the other devices that are driverless, and then I'll do the same on Vista which should hopefully work as well.

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom