reboots over and over and over again - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default reboots over and over and over again

I just installed a video card ati 9800 pro and i was having problems with the drivers for some reason. well , i installed the drivers again and it seems to work then when i restarted my computer it will only make it to the windows XP splash screen then it will restart. I tried safe mode and when the partitions all scrolls down the screen after clicking safe mode the computer then restarts it self over and over again, I do believe theres a problem with the drivers i installed how can i get in the system to get it out . thanks

system
asus
p4
512 memory
2 hard drives
xp & 98
350w power unit

I just broguth a 500w

Old 04-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

You have another video card? Try using another video card to get back into Windows and use the Catalyst Uninstaller at ati.com to uninstall the driver completely.

Old 04-15-2006, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

did you connect the plug to it? if not then do so , and if you did then provide the psu brand/model , just cuz its a *500w* it doesnt mean its a good psu it depends on its price & amps
Old 04-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Law
You have another video card? Try using another video card to get back into Windows and use the Catalyst Uninstaller at ati.com to uninstall the driver completely.
i brought a new video card and installed it and its still doing the same thing.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy
did you connect the plug to it? if not then do so , and if you did then provide the psu brand/model , just cuz its a *500w* it doesnt mean its a good psu it depends on its price & amps
yes i did connect the power plug to the card. i didnt gt the 500w ps until all this happend. So Im not at home but i will tell you what kinda of power suppy i have. I gave the video card to my friend so he can hook it up to his computer and see if it really works i got it off Ebay,lol suppose to be new only used for like 3 hours.

i just got the ps name its a ultra x-connect from tiger direct.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...833&CatId=1079
Old 04-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

It's definitely a problem with the driver, did you install the driver that came with the CD or the latest version from the site?, it would be pretty **** hard to get rid of it if you can't even get into safemode. Did you buy another ATI card? You should try a PCI vid card or perhaps Nvidia. If so you might have to reinstall windows. That means a clean install, if your not worry about losing anything you an format and reinstall Windows then if you can boot into the desktop try and install the driver, the newest or previous, whichever one you didn't install.

Closed Thread