Reboots for no apparent reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavnoedas

Beta member
Got a new video card and power supply a few days ago, installed WinXP SP3 and the system just blacks out and restarts after between 1 and 15 minutes. I ran memtest and it was clean of errors, the temperatures are more or less normal, the hard drive is new.

I'm not sure whether this is a software or hardware problem. I'd be thankful for any ideas ;)

Updated the drivers for the new piece of equipment? Looked in the logs to see if there are any errors showing up (application and system).

If by update the drivers you mean removing the ones for the old VGA and installing new ones then yes, new windows, drivers off the CD. Was going to download new ones, but figured it wasn't the issue. The VGA is a Radeon 4890 (1GB DDR5), it was a significant upgrage, which is why I had to buy the new power supply.

Rest of the specs are:
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz, 4MB cache (can't remember the model), 2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM, Intel motherboard, 640GB Samsung HDD, Power supply is a 550W Chieftec.

There are no errors upon reboot, I tried turning off automatic reboot so I could see the error message, but it just reboots without bothering to show it to me. Where can I find these logs?

Yesterday I tried installing a random version of Win7 just to see if it would work, but got a reboot at setup. I doesn't reboot at BIOS settings though, which makes sense I suppose.

Btw, I did get a BSoD while installing Windows before, it had something to do with intelppm.sys, but I couldn't find anything about intelppm.sys aside from a bunch of complains on how it crashes systems, none of the cases seemed to fit though.

When a system shuts down or restarts unexpectantly it's usually the CPU overheating or a faulty Power Supply. What is the Make, Model and Wattage of the Power Supply you bought?

I've never heard of Chieftec so I can't say if they produce good, quality power supplies or not.

Clean out your case with compressed air. Have you ever taken the heatsink off of your cpu and re-applied new thermal paste? It wouldn't hurt to do so and clean the heatsink fins with compressed air while your at it.

Can you post a screenshot of HW Monitor?
HWMonitor

I bought a new cooler because at first I assumed that was the reason for the reboots (which makes sense, since the temperature was at 75C while idling), I applied plenty of fresh termal paste and the temperatures are, as I said, more or less normal. Here's a screenshot of HWMonitor.

Your cpu temps are way to Hot. You might have 2 much thermal paste applied. You bought a new cooler, Make and Model please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom