Rebooted, now Freezes - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Rebooted, now Freezes

I disabled all my disc drives as my comp rebooted randomly quite often. It doesnt do that now but freezes instead. Most of the hardware is quite old. When I open anything the pages come up slowly and have a ghosting appearance.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Have you checked for viruses before? Or spyware?

Old 05-07-2006, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes, have run Ewido, Spybot etc. Panda Activescan reports this:

Incident Status Location

Spyware:Cookie/ Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Belinda\Cookies\belinda@ad.sensismediasma[1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Rn11 Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Belinda\Cookies\belinda@rn11[2].txt
Old 05-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

sounds like a mobo or psu issue

check the mobo for bad capacitors (better use a flashlight as its kinda dark in there) , see examples
if youll find any then rma the mobo if still got warranty , otherwise just have em replaced at some electronic repair shop

download everest
get into computer-->sensor and take a screenshot

as for the slowdown could be a dma/ide cable issue , check dma settings in bios make sure its set to auto , and if your mobo is nvidia chipset based and your using the nvidia ide driver then uninstall nforce & reinstall it without the ide driver , check if your using an 80 wires ide cable for the hd (you can tell by the connector colors,all black=40 , blue/grey/black=80) , ide hds run at ata100 (udma5) or ata133 (udma6,if its a maxtor) but a 40 wire cable limits to ata33 (udma2)
Old 05-08-2006, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi jeremy
Thanks for all that info and advice...a bit too much for my anti-computer brain to comprehend but I know someone who will know exactly what you mean. Thanks again
Closed Thread