Reboot and select proper Boot Device - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya
Default Reboot and select proper Boot Device

A got a new computer about two weeks ago. This morning, I stepped away from it and when I came back, it apparently had rebooted and the message

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I went into BIOS and made the system hard disk boot device #1 instead of the DVD-ROM drive and this resolved the issue. However, I am worried about what caused this to happen in the first place. The system has been working flawlessly for the past two weeks.

I checked Windows Event Viewer and could not find any indication as to why the system rebooted. Usually when its a BSOD there is an indication of a stop error. I did see that it installed Windows Updates last night.

I did a basic hard disk scan as well as a blended Prime95 torture test and everything came back okay.

Any other ideas?

Specs
-----
Gigabyte GA-H110M=52H-GSM motherboard
i7-6700 CPU
8GB RAM
GTX 970 GPU
WD Blue 1TB hard drive and WD Green 1TB secondary hard drive
Windows 10

beedubaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Reboot and select proper Boot Device

You check all the cables, especially the SATA? maybe its loose and caused the reboot and to not find the OS.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulezero View Post
You check all the cables, especially the SATA? maybe its loose and caused the reboot and to not find the OS.
It was resolved by changing the boot order in the BIOS to check the primary hard drive first. The computer never had issues seeing the hard drive. I haven't had any issues since so I think if it was something like a loose cable, that wouldn't have fixed it.

I discovered a Trojan on my system yesterday evening so I am wondering if that may have been a factor. It's still strange though, how all of a sudden it didn't like the DVD-ROM drive being at top boot priority followed by my two hard drives.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Good good!

I said loose cables as you said it randomly restarted and that message came up, so thought it was not seeing the hard drive.

Did you ever set the boot order? If so, could be a dying battery if the time also reset.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Did you have a DVD in the rom drive, sometimes if it sees it depending on what media you have in there it will try to boot off of it and you get that message.

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
Did you have a DVD in the rom drive, sometimes if it sees it depending on what media you have in there it will try to boot off of it and you get that message.
No DVD in the drive lol.

CMOS battery is a thought. Would it cause a random reboot though?
Old 04-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

No, it shouldn't. CMOS battery is just there to save the BIOS/UEFI settings.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote