Reboot message after crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph

In Runtime
After d/l and execution of a small program(s) [for further details see below] I heard a small click on the HDD, and the pc crashed/stalled. When I restarted it, it fails to load win XP, and i got the following message on DOS screen:
"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

I believe I have d/l a suspect program, but how do I now get out of it and get into windows safemode to restore to a previous point...any ideas?
Can I do a windows repair install from CD without data loss? I have not made a bootable CD, can I on another PC?

WINZIX a new archiving program with adware, and
VCDGEAR to convert a BIN/CUE file into mpeg.

Start your computer and while booting hit f8 till the menu pops up. and select last known good configuration if no luck redoo and try safe mode.If still no luck you may need to find athird party software for either fixing the boot sector like hard drive rejuvenator or something to back up your hard drive like superwin PE.

thanks sPlAtOiD, will try f8, though i thought the pc should provide me with those options if they were possible. I only need access to copy a few files to 2nd HDD, like outlook.pst and bookmarks.html.

If safe mode doesn't work, get into the recovery console by starting up with your xp disc. Log in and then use the chkdsk command. If it tells you that nothings probably wrong, do a full scan anyways. I don't remember what that command is but it tells you.

F8 doesn't provide any menu.
Can't get to safe mode. Is there a speciasl way to get there in BIOS?
Have tried using XP disc to do a repair or get to recovery console, but PC stalls, HDD seems to stop (no sound or LED)......HELP, am struggling.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom