Reboot issue

Ok. I can set it again tonight after work. Not convinced it is a heat issue though since it was happening on a cold start. I need to test it some more to be sure but I used fur mark today. With the CPU burn I never went over 77c no issues. However when I did the gpu stress. I would get either a shutdown or a restart around gpu temp 75c which is odd since I got much higher temps the other day with no problem.

May not be a heat issue, but it's good to at least eliminate that possibility.

Have you tried only running single stick of RAM? I've seem Memtest not pick up errors sometimes.

I suppose I should have asked this before, but are all of your drivers up to date from the individual component manufacturers' sites, rather than from MSI?

Video card is for sure. Other than that I am not sure.
As for the ram. No i havnt. I don't even know where the other 2 sticks are. Has 12gig but there is only 1 4gig stick visible.

Last edited:
Video card is for sure. Other than that I am not sure.
As for the ram. No i havnt. I don't even know where the other 2 sticks are. Has 12gig but there is only 1 4gig stick visible.

Possibly under the keyboard.

Edit: did some quick googling while looking for a pic of your motherboard to see if there were RAM slots on the otherside (under the keyboard)...and this popped up:
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=276336

Sounds like it may be a GPU issue.

Last edited:
Ya I had read that before. I suspect my gpu as well. Only difference is my problem will happen on both AC adapter and battery. What sux is if it is the gpu it doesn't look very easy to get another gtx 580m. If I am able to snag one I am looking at about $300 ouch. The question is do I spend that kind of $$ on a system that is 3 years old. Tough call considering it's a crap shoot as to if that's the actual issue.

Last edited:
Ya I had read that before. I suspect my gpu as well. Only difference is my problem will happen on both AC adapter and battery. What sux is if it is the gpu it doesn't look very easy to get another gtx 580m. If I am able to snag one I am looking at about $300 ouch. The question is do I spend that kind of $$ on a system that is 3 years old. Tough call considering it's a crap shoot as to if that's the actual issue.

Have you tried running MSI Kombuster to stress test your GPU?

You could look into prices for something like a 680m or 770m instead of a replacement 580m... though it sounds like you'd need a different heatsink assembly as well (or a way to modify your existing heatsink):
MSI GT783-625us video card upgrade

Would have to check wattage to I would think. Rather not have to replace the psu too. From what I saw looking the other day I can upgrade to a 680m without changing heat sink or psu. But ya I will look into it some more. The 680m is not any easier to find. There is stuff on ebay but not something I can snag off of newegg.

Would have to check wattage to I would think. Rather not have to replace the psu too. From what I saw looking the other day I can upgrade to a 680m without changing heat sink or psu. But ya I will look into it some more. The 680m is not any easier to find. There is stuff on ebay but not something I can snag off of newegg.

Nope, for mobile GPU's you're pretty much going to have to go on eBay (maybe Amazon if you're lucky). RKComputers is a certified reseller of parts too...but they're fairly spendy.

As for power consumption:
580m = 100W
680m = 100W
770m = 75W

So a 580m and 680m would be fine power-wise.

A 770 uses less power? Or was that supposed to be 175?
BTW I appreciate your time and help. I do ok but this is starting to get a bit beyond me haha. Good to talk to knowledgeable ppl. :)

Last edited:
A 770 uses less power? Or was that supposed to be 175?
BTW I appreciate your time and help. I do ok but this is starting to get a bit beyond me haha. Good to talk to knowledgeable ppl. :)

Correct, it uses less power.

Though, if you're looking at a 770m...that's around $600... and you might as well just invest in a new laptop for that much. You can get a good used gaming laptop off of eBay or Amazon for <$1k, and then you could even sell the GT783R you have right now As-is for some decent cash.

For example, I got my GT780DX for <$800 used...was in great condition. Recently upgraded to a GT70 2oc-059us for $1k off of eBay, and sold my GT780DX for around $750 (since it was still in fantastic condition).

And no problem, glad to help out when I can :).

Back
Top Bottom