Realtek Hi definition audio problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakta

In Runtime
Got an issue here with the onboard realtek high def audio chip on my motherboard.

Firstly I'm not 100% sure this is the right section, as I'm not sure if it's a hardware problem, driver problem windows problem or multimedia problem. I've a feeling it's more with windows but we'll see.

Anyway I was asked to downgrade a system from vista to xp, simply because it was quite slow with vista, and we didn't feel it would fare much better with windows 7 being a fairly ancient and budget build. so we did that and now we get no sound.

Here's my rig:
- intel core duo e4500
- 1gb ram
- foxconn 946 7ma series mainboard
- Geforce 7300SE Graphics
- XP SP2

As you can see the computer isn't anything special, it's just the 'system on the hallway' sort of computer that anyone can in theory jump on, do a bit of browsing and youtube etc.

Anyway, we have no sound. I've checked in the device manager and it's listed everything okay. No exclamation marks, it's detected the realtek chip and the drivers I've installed without a problem. Except of course there is no sound coming from the system whatsoever.

I've checked:
- volume
- speaker connections
- selected playback device
- used a variety of older/newer realtek drivers
- installed KB88111 UAA hotfix
- system restore
- done a bit of googling, tried a lot of suggestions such as disabling microsofts UAA driver and forcing a reinstall etc.

And still nothing :(

In my research I have found a million examples of users having problems installing drivers when reverting from vista to xp, mostly because of some unified audio architecture 'incompatibility' but not found many instances of people who have installed the drivers okay but get no sound.

Just posting this as a last ditch attempt to solve this problem really as my next step will be a cheap pci audio card which I'm sure will work, but seems a bit wasteful when I've got hardware right here that should be compatible.

any ideas?

Hi,

Have you checked the settings in the Realtek audio manager settings itself?
Start > Control Panel > HD Realtek Audio manager

Also, what's the exact model number of your Foxconn motherboard (should be printed on the motherboard, or alternatively it can be identified using CPU-Z or Speccy)

Thanks for the quick reply...

Only option I have in the control panel is 'realtek HD sound effect manager'.

As for the exact foxconn model...I am unsure (the website lists loads), is there any software that could identify this? (failing that i'll rip the side off and get in with a torch but it's in a very tight corner).

cheers bud

Hi,

Are all the settings set correctly in the Realtek HD Sound Effect manager?

For identification of your motherboard model, you can use CPU-Z or Speccy.

Yeah, sound effect manager seems allright with the jack settings, but still no sound.

I used cpu-z to get the model number, unfortunately it seems unable to narrow down whichever model it is, same with speccy so looks like I'm diving under the table!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom