Really loud computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

qblake

Baseband Member
I have a Biostar P4-M900-M Mobo. I recently added a second fan and the computer is as loud as heck (No fan speed controller). I don't have any money at all (at all), so i was wondering if there is a free software fan speed condroller.

SPECS:
Pentium 4 2.8 ghz @ 2.9 ghz (going to go a little farther)
Cooling: 5 year old dell dimension 3000 heatsink with a fan duct-taped to the top (lol)

I get around 10C at idle, around 35C with cpu at 100% (ironic, i know)

You can use SpeedFan, IIRC.

Also, the P4s may have been before my time (before I got into computers), but unless you live somewhere in the Arctic circle in largely unheated room, those temps are impossible.

Well, here's the link to SpeedFan
http://www.almico.com/speedfan440.exe

Install it, and run it. I just installed it here - it took a minute to recognise all my fans, and then apparantly you just change the fan speed by using the up and down arrows for each fan (named Speed01, Speed02 etc.).

It took me a minute to figure out which fan was which (for example Speed03 ended up being my top fan) - I just temporarily put each one down to 0 and watched to see which one stopped.

So, to achieve what you want, presumably you just put down the percentages of yours fans, and they should quieten as you do so (unless they turn out to be fairly

Edit: Oh, and I really recommend you don't touch any of the other settings. As the program says, it could damage your computer if you do so.

Why did you add the second fan if the temp is so low? What are you using to figure out your temps? If they are actually low, then why do you need the second fan? What is it cooling?

Why did you add the second fan if the temp is so low? What are you using to figure out your temps? If they are actually low, then why do you need the second fan? What is it cooling?

Without the second fan, the temp is around 50C no load. I am using speedfan. They are very high without the second fan. It is cooling a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz Socket 478 Prescott @ 3.08 Ghz.

Try Core Temp and see what temps you get. If this is a real issue and you can't figure out how to make the fan control program slow it down, save up a few bucks and get a new fan. They are very cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom