Really annoying heat sink. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Really annoying heat sink.

So I am working on this custom build for a customer and the power supply and hard drive need to be replaced. But holy crap does this thing have a huge heat sink, and it is right in the way of removing the power supply. Normally removing heat sinks isn't an issue but this one seems to be really stubborn and I'm not certain I am trying to unscrew the right screws? Just wanted to get some people's opinions and ideas to help remove this sucker. Pictures included~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-24 13.56.27.jpg (105.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-24 13.56.44.jpg (103.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-03-24 13.57.24.jpg (104.2 KB, 8 views)

Inkerlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Really annoying heat sink.

Is there a make and/or model listed on the heat sink? That definitely looks like an aftermarket heat sink, and depending the speed/power of the CPU, most likely unnecessary to have one that bulky.

Edit: Also, check the back side of the motherboard. I can almost guarantee with a heat sink that size that there is a back plate holding that heat sink in place on back of the motherboard.

sonikburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

The heatsink is called the Coolermaster GeminII and not only are they annoying, they are very prone to breaking the traces within a motherboard. Because of how much they weigh, even with the rear bracket, it was just too heavy!

The bottom 4 screws you took a picture of should be the ones to remove it. its that or you'll need to remove the motherboard to get it out! I would get that cooler out anyway though, get something like the Arctic Freezer, its only like 29 bucks and is very good for the price!

Anymore questions, just ask!

-Murphy

Im obsessed with my Samsung(s) My Galaxy S4 and my Tab 3 8.0
Murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

You might as well remove the motherboard from the case and replace the PSU... May also want to consider re-applying thermal paste as I am sure you have broken the bond between the heatsink and CPU trying to get the heatsink out of the way.
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, it took much blood, sweat and tears but I managed to get the new PSU and HDD in thanks to your suggestions to remove the whole mobo. That heat sink reminds me of those hot rod cars with huge chrome engine stacks coming out of a square hole in the hood xD.
Inkerlink is offline   Reply With Quote