Reading old main drive as secondary or external

Magilla

Baseband Member
Hi, I have a laptop drive that I thought I used Belarc Advisor on to keep a record of the software keys and hardware info. Vista is installed on it.

It crashed in some form but I was able to boot in safe/network mode until a "repairman" cold cocked it by shutting it down with the power button. It no longer booted up in any mode.

Well I can see the drive and many files on it as it sits in a secondary slot in my PC. I can't find the Belarc file that I saved as a PDF and it seems there are other files and perhaps folders I can't see either.

I also can't use office 2007 that is on it.

Can I get the keys using some other software or does this mean I have to buy another Office? It was purchased through a college and the disk is long gone. Which brings up needing an Office disk but not needing the key.

I also have Office '97 and am fine using it but the disc is cracked and I do have the key so is there anything I can do with that? Geting a copy w/o the key?

Thank you

Hi, I have a laptop drive that I thought I used Belarc Advisor on to keep a record of the software keys and hardware info. Vista is installed on it.

It crashed in some form but I was able to boot in safe/network mode until a "repairman" cold cocked it by shutting it down with the power button. It no longer booted up in any mode.

Well I can see the drive and many files on it as it sits in a secondary slot in my PC. I can't find the Belarc file that I saved as a PDF and it seems there are other files and perhaps folders I can't see either.

I also can't use office 2007 that is on it.

Can I get the keys using some other software or does this mean I have to buy another Office? It was purchased through a college and the disk is long gone. Which brings up needing an Office disk but not needing the key.

I also have Office '97 and am fine using it but the disc is cracked and I do have the key so is there anything I can do with that? Geting a copy w/o the key?

Thank you

You have a slight chance of recovering your files, if your computer bios s.m.ar.t. utility didn't show signs of the hard drive dying, I would pull as much as I can.
Recuva - Recovery from damaged or formatted disks

Its good program, but it has its draw backs, if you tell it to do extensive searching, it will take half a day or almost a day depending on the size of your hdd.

Have it poke around for all documents, if it sees the file and bad shape, I recommend you leave it alone as it may not open up correctly again.

Back
Top Bottom