Reading burned DVD's from a DVD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
I downloaded the Fedroa Core 5 Final x86 DVD ISO yesterday, and burned it onto a DVD-R disc. I am wanting to install Fedora on my older AMD 2400xp machine. It has a generic DVD-ROM in it, that I have used successfully in the past to watch DVD movies, but this is my first attempt to use a burned DVD on it.

Right now, there is no OS on the machine, and 3 blank hard drives totaling 340 Gig of free space. I have been trying to boot from the DVD, but the machine just hangs after POST. I am thinking that it is because this DVD drive just won't read burned DVD media.

Can anyone tell me if there is one format of DVD recordable media that can be read in plain jane DVD-ROM drives? I have blank DVD-R (this is what Fedora is burned on now), and also blank DVD+R.

I know I will probably have to get another DVD burner for this machine to be able to read the disc, but I was hoping to avoid that.

Thanks in advance all :)

Figured out the problem......
In short... tried DVD-R, DVD+R... both would list anything with a E:\>dir from a DOS promot... put in a game I have on DVD.... did a E:\>dir and bam, got a listing...

Downloading the CD iso's now....

and an ISO is a disc image...

Well, the CD iso files (3.2 Gig) finished in about 6 hours... I burned the first iso to disc, and tried to boot from it in the future Fedora PC... SUCCESS. I can't wait to get home from work, and start the install. The DVD-ROM most definatly can't read burned DVD-R or DVD+R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom