Re-enabling Monitor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re-enabling Monitor

So I have a desktop PC (windows xp pro 3) Hp Pavillion a1230n. So i wanted to be cool and make my computer have a dual monitor, so i put in hardware that i took from another computer that has a s-video port, VGA port, and a retro-looking monitor port, i forgot what it's called. So I hook this up and upon startup that new port is the one that is running the monitor, instead of my original VGA port that is hooked up to my motherboard. I figured that I could get a monitor to run through the original VGA port if i disabled the new device. Long story short, it didn't do that. What it did do: the monitor worked and showed the startup of windows and everything, but once I reached the login page, it was a black screen. Obviously my computer still is working because I can manage to log in blindly. Yes, I realize i can take out the new hardware and my monitor will hook up to the original VGA port fine, and run nicely, but I want to just try and re-enable the device I disabled. Any ideas? Safe Mode?

Safe mode isn't working when I choose to run windows media edition, so I think that idea is out.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: Re-enabling Monitor

Whenever a PCI video card is plugged in the onboard video is disabled by default. Some motherboards seem to be able to still use the onboard video when a PCI card is in, but it seems that most don't. I would go through your BIOS carefully looking for options concerning onboard video and such. Check out the 'Best Answer' here

Booting into Safe Mode shouldn't affect anything since this is hardware/BIOS issue and not anything to do with your OS (not yet at least)

And also, how exactly did you disable the new device?

Closed Thread