raptor drive spins at high speed - not a normal start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballina

Beta member
At first this problem started as a software problem. But now it looks like it is a hard drive problem.

My computer specs are ASUS PK5 deluxe motherboard, quad core 2.4 intel, 4 gigs ram, C drive is Raptor Western Digital 10K 85 gigs and D drive is western digital 150gigs 72K. I do not have an internal CD drive as I had bought a external DVD rewrite about 3 months before I bought the computer so I told them not to install it (customer order). Vista OS system.

My problems started two weeks ago after I installed AVG 9.0 release anti virus.

I have been trying all sorts of things with no success. Every morning my computer usually goes into normal start but then after that it seems to by pass normal start and the c drive is spinning at a very fast pace when I turn on the computer. I have not had a normal start for the last 3 days. Everytime I turn on the computer the c drive is spinning very fast.

I initially tried normal start up when the screens froze the first time and then when I went into mail and the screen locked up again. Then I couldn't select safe mode - cursor frozen, then I tried to make a usbflash key a bootable disc and the computer screen lit up asking which boot to use. However the screen was frozen I could not move the cursor. I had made the ubs bootable flash key wrong.

Yesterday over a friends house we made a bootable winflash usb key. I put the key in one of the motherboard slots and the computer did not start up normally. The bootable flash key did not work as I think the c drive is locked into a fast spin and doesn't stop to do a normal boot up any more.

I get no signal on the monitor screen so I know the monitor is working. I checked the usb bootable flash key by looking at it with my w7 laptop and it does state it is a bootable disc. I feel the monitors are working okay and I don't think their is a problem with the video driver as I think the anti virus software is caused the initial problem but now I can't get into safe mode at all.

I read on line that release 9.0 was causing problems and some people had gone back to 8.5. I saw a 148meg update yesterday on AVG website and I downloaded on to my w7 laptop and everything is okay so far with the anti virus on my laptop . That update was very large so I think it was created to fix the problems but I can't assess windows to download it into the desktop.

The C drive spins very fast every time I start it - either from a cold boot or soft reboot. I cannot pull up either the bio's or the safe mode using F8 or F1 or F2.

I'm at a lost as to what to do. Should I buy a internal C drive and see it if works with my vista CD though I don't know if it will be bootable as I can't get into bio's.

My ASUS manual states I can make a bootable Flashkey with Bios but if I can't get the bootable vista flash key to work it doesn't make sense to try a bios bootable usbflash key.

Is there a way for me to access the internal C drive if I pull it out and put it inside a external case drive? Is it hopeless - any thoughts on what I can do? I have done backup's on most things that were not system related but I didn't on my emails and I have folders that holds content by subject data.

Thanks
Rose

Thread: Computer randomly freezes at times. Reply to Thread

can't get into bios or safe mode on my C drive

I can not get to bios or to safe mode. I have tried pressing F2, F1, and F8 several times.
The hard drive does not start up normal - it goes into a fast spin and stays like that.
I created a bootable flash drive and have tried all the usb slots on the motherboard and I still cannot get into the computer. Both my monitors state no signal received.

I tried another monitor I had with a adaptor plug as I have digital outputs on the video card and the same thing - no signal.

I remember when I first tried making a bootable flash key which I didn't maike properly(forgot add the window files), however I did get into bios the bios and their were two drives numbers and the screen stated which drive to boot up with. However, the cursor/screen was frozen and I could not pick it and then the screen disappeared.

I do have two drives in the tower- is it possible that the computer possibly picked the D drive and that is why I'm not getting a signal? I am grasping at straws here as the drive starts up at a high speed and I think it is by passing the normal set up.

I just thought of something - I can open up the case and see which drive is humming- if it is the 2nd drive instead of the main drive I can disconnect that 2nd drive and maybe force the computer to use the C drive? Don't know if that will work either.
If anyone else has an idea of what I can do since I can't get Bios or safe mode up please respond. By the way, I bought the antivirus software so I have better copy then the free antivirus that is offered. I have been using AVG for 3 years as brighthouse tech said to use AVG as they don't have any problems with that antivirus.

Below is my first post that I will post that I created at the bottom of this email so that people can see the total problem.

Thanks
Rose.

My computer specs are ASUS PK5 deluxe motherboard, quad core 2.4 intel, 4 gigs ram, C drive is Raptor Western Digital 10K 85 gigs and D drive is western digital 150gigs 72K. I do not have an internal CD drive as I had bought a external DVD rewrite about 3 months before I bought the computer so I told them not to install it (customer order). Vista OS system.

My problems started two weeks ago after I installed AVG 9.0 release anti virus.

I have been trying all sorts of things with no success. Every morning my computer usually goes into normal start but then after that it seems to by pass normal start and the c drive is spinning at a very fast pace when I turn on the computer. I have not had a normal start for the last 3 days. Everytime I turn on the computer the c drive is spinning very fast.

I initially tried normal start up when the screens froze the first time and then when I went into mail and the screen locked up again. Then I couldn't select safe mode - cursor frozen, then I tried to make a usbflash key a bootable disc and the computer screen lit up asking which boot to use. However the screen was frozen I could not move the cursor. I had made the ubs bootable flash key wrong.

Yesterday over a friends house we made a bootable winflash usb key. I put the key in one of the motherboard slots and the computer did not start up normally. The bootable flash key did not work as I think the c drive is locked into a fast spin and doesn't stop to do a normal boot up any more.

I get no signal on the monitor screen so I know the monitor is working. I checked the usb bootable flash key by looking at it with my w7 laptop and it does state it is a bootable disc. I feel the monitors are working okay and I don't think their is a problem with the video driver as I think the anti virus software is caused the initial problem but now I can't get into safe mode at all.

I read on line that release 9.0 was causing problems and some people had gone back to 8.5. I saw a 148meg update yesterday on AVG website and I downloaded on to my w7 laptop and everything is okay so far with the anti virus on my laptop . That update was very large so I think it was created to fix the problems but I can't assess windows to download it into the desktop.

The C drive spins very fast every time I start it - either from a cold boot or soft reboot. I cannot pull up either the bio's or the safe mode using F8 or F1 or F2.

I'm at a lost as to what to do. Should I buy a internal C drive and see it if works with my vista CD though I don't know if it will be bootable as I can't get into bio's.

My ASUS manual states I can make a bootable Flashkey with Bios but if I can't get the bootable vista flash key to work it doesn't make sense to try a bios bootable usbflash key.

Is there a way for me to access the internal C drive if I pull it out and put it inside a external case drive? Is it hopeless - any thoughts on what I can do? I have done backup's on most things that were not system related but I didn't on my emails and I have folders that holds content by subject data.

Thanks
Rose

Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom