Random Windows XP scan disk at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
I recently restarted my computer, and well it was restarting, i was reading a manual for a game i just installed, then all the sudden it was doing a scan disk, and it had deleted 2 sectors and was attempting to repair one, i shut down computer, then restarted and was paying attention this time and canceled it before it started. Should i just let a scandisk run and fix/delete bad sectors? or will those files on those sectors being deleted possibly be important and F up my computer if they are deleted?

Also, is there anyway i can do like a repair on windows that will repair missing/damaged files because somehow my system restore, and windows update dont work/windows freezes when i try doing anything with them?

spikoman69 said:
I recently restarted my computer, and well it was restarting, i was reading a manual for a game i just installed, then all the sudden it was doing a scan disk, and it had deleted 2 sectors and was attempting to repair one, i shut down computer, then restarted and was paying attention this time and canceled it before it started. Should i just let a scandisk run and fix/delete bad sectors? or will those files on those sectors being deleted possibly be important and F up my computer if they are deleted?

Also, is there anyway i can do like a repair on windows that will repair missing/damaged files because somehow my system restore, and windows update dont work/windows freezes when i try doing anything with them?

you can try at the run command sfc /scannow to do the system file checker maybe?

have you checked the hdd with any diagnostic software to make sure it is ok?

also have you backed up any data ?

It will want to do the scandisk until it is completed. Once done, it won't do it again. Most likely it will move the data off the sector to another sector before removing it...though there might not be data there if the sector is bad.

CrazeD said:
It will want to do the scandisk until it is completed. Once done, it won't do it again. Most likely it will move the data off the sector to another sector before removing it...though there might not be data there if the sector is bad.

good point Crazed. if it gets thru the scandisk and everything still works then you are probably ok. but if you keep getting bad sectors then your drive might be going bad and I would suggest backup and replace.

I just bought this drive back in novemeber, it says it doing a consistency check, should i just let it run?

A scandisk can happen any time your computer is shut off incorrectly, so just let it run. It shouldn't hurt anything.

If its coming up bad sectors, then as networkgeek said your drive is going bad, it could last up to 10 years b4 failing, but it could fail tomorrow, if it has warranty, claim it on that

Also check to make sure you have no flash drives plugged in. If windows detects a flash drive upon boot, it will scan it for errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom