Random USB Disconnects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Smith

Solid State Member
Odd problem

It affects my iPod and my USB wireless adapter both connected to windows XP via USB2.

Basically I plug in and everything works fine but occasionally windows will unregister and immediately re-register the devices (the double-beep usb sounds in quick succesion)

I imagine the problem has something to do with the power to the USB ports but it is a new problem and it does not affect my USB mouse.

Is there any way to resolve this? My power supply is sufficient but there may be some problem with a connection or something. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm on the latest drivers and the USB is integrated on the motherboard (M838A running a Sis 7001 chipset) I unplugged the front USB since I didn't use them anyway (although they were also problematic)

Maybe a power problem then, try connecting another power supply only for testing (don't build it in). Maybe another reason could be that the signal gets interrupted by other devices that are touching the usbwiresonboardyourmotherboard (don't know what theyr called). Try updating BIOS else i wouldnt know if that doesnt help either.

"ExitProsecSpree" - is crazy.

1) Mircrosoft owns the right to usb 2.0, thats why you will never find USB 2.0 drivers with motherboard. windows either uses the default windows USB drivers.. or you can download the updated usb driver just by going threw windwos update.

2) this may not affect your problem, but might as well try it... go to /start/run, type "devmgmt.msc", hit enter. go to the USB Controllers at the bottom of list... right click each Hub 1 by 1, go to properties/power managment... uncheck the box to 'allow comp to turn of this device to save power'.

3) dont konw if this still applies but people in the past reported usb problems after switching to SP2. not shur or not but this prob may be fixed by know (i wouldnt know) if so win update would fix it.

No help I'm afraid and I just reformatted so it's not a software thing. Doesn't look like I'll be able to resolve this!

i didnt read to the end of ExitProsecSpree's post b4, but yea, like he said, if your bios isnt currently up to date, might as well try updating it.

also if your using a few PCI slots, check your mothebroard manual and see if maybe you should switch witch slots your using... sometimes sertain PCI slots share IRQ's with other onboard devices.

There's no IRQ conflicts reported and I'm not sure how to update the BIOS (it's not something I want to try without properly knowing how!) My motherboard is PC CHIPS M848A and I run an AMD Athlon XP 3000+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom