random shutting down/freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

djgrunday

Solid State Member
hi

ok, i have no experience with hardware so im going to a forum for some much needed help. basically today i recieved 2x 256mb sticks of pc2700 ram. tonight i installed them and the first time i turned the computer on and let out a stream of non stop continuous beeps. needless to say i crapped myself and turned the computer off. i then made sure the ram was in properly (in case it wasnt) and it turned on. so everything was fine... then i tried to install my 5.1 soundcard. windows said it installed everything and all i needed to do was reboot. so i did but when i went to test the soundcard out it was doing nothing. no sound at all. so i went stuff this and i took out the sound card... while the computer was on. and i realise how utterly utterly stupid that was and i realized it the second i removed it.. the computer turned itself off. when i tried to turn it back on i got no initial bios beeps at all. the second time i tried it worked for about 10 seconds then froze and turned itself off again. i then waited about 10 mins and turned it on again. i got the whole computer started...but now it freezes at random intervals which is extremely frustrating. i would appreciate any help that can be given. my computer is a p4 2.8ghz, 1gb ram (after ram install, before it was 512), and the soundcard was a $30 crappy one.

cheers for any help at all
regards

adam

First off, have a look at the guide at the top of this forum:)

If you have any questions after that, feel free to post back!

uhm I think your problem is beyond your scope. I rarly tell people to take it to a tech, but in your case it would probably be the best solution.

BTW it'd really help people reading if you included some breaks in that large chunk of text.

hey

yeah i read that guide (this was after i had just posted the topic i felt like an idiot lol). i narrowed it down to problems with the ram i installed. i removed the 1/2 gig and the computer worked fine.

is there any way to tell if a specific slot is malfunctioning?

thanks

regards

adam

look for an update on ur bios and flash it if you continue to have problems u can check each memory slot by using a stick of ram u kno is in working condition and boot from each slot to see if they all work

thanks.

i eventually figured out that the soundcard was causing the crashes... i took it out (after i got it working, ironically enough, for a short time), and the memory functions perfectly. thanks for your input guys
regards
adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom