Random shutdowns while playing counter-strike: Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

.sin//

Solid State Member
Hey :p I was wondering what could cause this -.-

I checked my fans, memory is 3 gigs, my computer is fairly new (about a year old) and this problem just started happening two days ago.. heres the specs

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ACER
System Model: Aspire M5630
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1647MB used, 4713MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO

I'm a complete computer nub too lol and counter-strike:source is the only game ive tried, usually i barely have enough in-game time to die (about a 5 minutes)

Heat sounds like the cause. all your fans may be working but make sure that you have good wire management and make sure your heatsink is seated correctly. just make sure that breath and cool down easily.

But I even cleaned out all the dust, and put a fan up to it lol didnt help -.- im not sure what a heatsink is, but ive heard it can be clogged with dust, any way I can find out what a heatsink is and how to make sure its cleaned properly, and seated correctly?

also this ONLY happens when I play counter strike, so I can use my computer (im on it right now) but if i try to play I last 5 minutes if im lucky before my computer just shuts down..

btw thanks for the speedy reply :)

yeah no prob. the heatsink is the metal thing that sits on the CPU to distribute the CPU's heat so it doesn't get to hot.

also try seeing if theirs a possible patch or a fix for the game on the games manufacture's website. could be a bug that's been fixed already.

and also is it quick full shut offs or does it just do a normal shut down when this happens?

Well the game gets updates automatically, as far as I know, I am the only one with this problem (some of my friends use windows vista as well)

anyways um its a real quick shutoff, monitor goes black and the power flow gets shut off from the computer its about as fast as it would be if I unplugged it from the wall, or hit the switch on my surge protector

also, if I do a complete system reformat could it fix this problem (i will do it regardless but im just wondering if it could fix it)

and thanks for all the feedback and help :)

I wouldn't format yet.

What else do you play?

This is a prebuilt right? I'd suspect heat too right now, so what you really need to do is run a stress test program, prime95 for your cpu,along with coretemp to monitor the temp, and atitool for your graphics card, gpu and see what happens.

ATITool - Overclocking utility for ATI and NVIDIA cards
Prime95 (32bit) - 25.8 Download - EXTREME Overclocking
Download Core Temp 0.99.5.27 - A compact, no fuss, small footprint program that monitors CPU core temperature - Softpedia

See what temps each get too.

Yeah. I play team fortress 2 and left 4 dead too, i was planning on reformatting for months now anyways lol

yeah id say try doing a reinstall first, formatting will totally wipe your drive. Unless you want to completely format then reinstall everything for a fresh start then by all means, go for it.

No, its all games, ive been told it could be my power supply, graphics card, or motherboard want to hear your guys opinion in it :p

oh and i left my computer off for 5 hours, and out a fan up to my open case still no luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom