Random Restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysalis

Systems Engineer
OK. I've basically put together a whole new system. The only thing left over from the system is the two cd/dvd drives and the power supply. Everything else is new (mobo, processor, ram, etc etc)

My system would restart without warning. It would just be instant restart... no system shutting down kinda thing... just black screen and it would boot up like nothing happened. It is at random. Is this a power supply issue? I noticed that it happens MORE often when i install my 200gb Western digital back into it. I bought a 120gb seagate to try and rule out that it wasn't a hard drive issue. If i take that drive out, it doesnt' happen as often, but it happens.

Is this a power supply problem? Its an antec 350watt. I've only got 1 extra fan other than the CPU and the PS fans. Do you think I should RMA the western digital? (Its still under the 3 year warranty) Or should I get a new PS with a bigger power rating? If so, what should I get? Obviously over 350.

TIA!

Based on what you've described it seems like a bad power supply...most likely due to an unstable 12v rail

The only remedy to this would be to obviously buy a new PSU....as always I will point out that you do want to cut corners on your PSU

i thought so... is 450 watts enough?

2 hard drives, 2 cd/dvd drives, 1 floppy and 2 fans (might be buying a new case)

Yeah, 450 is enough...I would suggest you stick with the more reliable brands such as PC power and cooling, Antec, thermaltake, OCZ etc.

You can generally tell the quality of a PSU by the weight, heavier = better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom