rhetoricalcynic

Solid State Member
Hey all,

First i am running...

AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 3800+ 2.01Ghz
2GB RAM
e-GeForce 7200 video card
500GB Western Digital HD

The problem that is driving me insane is my computer will power off as though i plug pulled. I have monitered temps (never higher than 38C). Replaced my PSU. Tested my RAM (Good). Reformatted my HD and reinstalled Win XP. Went through my mobo with an eagle eye, and all capacitors seem ok.

Through all this my computer happily turns off whenever it feels like it. The only thing that is of note is that recently i ran windows in safe mode. It has not powered off once. I find that a bit odd, and perhaps it is a software issue, and not hardware. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

So when you say power off you mean, "PC goes off and doesn't come back on." You have to press the power button for it to start again? Just want to make sure we are on the same page here.

It's not crashing and restarting? Or blue screening?

How are you monitoring your CPU temps?

The most common causes of that issue are thermal protection of a CPU, "Overheating" and Faulty PSU. - Hardware side

I had an external temperature gauge, as well as running Everest. Key word being had as it is now powered down and awaiting my hammer of wrath.

I have alternated between the two. To no avail. i have also connected a multi meter to the molex, and the outlet checking for voltage drops. There were none. Also i just bought a brand new PSU. which i have not tested. This is possibly the strangest thing i have come across, I am completely stumped and can think of nothing else to test.

No i have connected the new one, i just have not plugged my meter into it to moniter the DC output. I did not feel it was necessary.

Ok. What type of case do you have?

Here's something that you might want to try. Locate the Power switch connector on the motherboard. As you might know this is connected to the power button on the case. POWER UP the PC and let it boot to windows. (Side panel off) Carefully pull off the power switch connector to the motherboard and let it run and see if it powers down again.

Might be a faulty power switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom