Not open for further replies.

ruggerz

Beta member
Hi there, before i start, heres my specs:

Home-Build (No Overclocking)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe (About a week old)
2 x 1GB Geil PC6400C5 DDR2 RAM
Arctic Power 700W PSU (About a week old)
WD SATA 500GB
WD SATA 640GB
Geforce 7600GT
Pioneer DVDRW, Floopy, Card Reader
XP Pro SP3 with all updates.

Okay, so a couple of weeks ago come to turn on the PC, fans start to fire then immediately shut off again, occasionally it would boot up and work as normal then after a while (could be 10 minutes or several hours) it would just shut off like I'd pulled the plug out of the wall. Eventually it would not even boot, just spin the fans and die again.

So I checked the power and restart switch, nothing wrong there. So I went ahead and replaced the PSU (from Antec 500W), nothing, then the MOBO (from ASRock ALive SATA2-GLAN).

Did a complete reinstall of Windows on the 500GB drive, everything has been running fine and dandy until yesterday.

Its taken to shutting itself off again like before, sometimes it doesnt make to windows, other times its running for hours.

Heres a list of what i've already checked:
- Temperatures - all fine (ran Prime95 for a few hours)
- RAM, ran memtest86 - no problems
- Power and reset switches again, even replaced with known working ones, no difference
- Had near enough everything unplugged from the MOBO that is not needed, still happens
- Have run all manner of virus, spyware, etc (AVG, adaware, spybot etc)
- Rolled back to windows SATA drivers as i read nVidia are dodgy

In the Event Viewer I have noticed a couple of entries at the time of the power cuts:

Source: EventLog, Event ID: 6009
and
Source: EventLog, Event ID: 6005
Which are both things that happen when an "expected" restart or shutdown is initiated by either CTRL+ALT+DEL or start->shutdown

Which seems odd to me as I'm not telling to do either, its just cutting right out, not even shutting down or restarting by itself.

My only thought is dodgy power sockets in my room (have tried a couple), and if they are dodgy (will try to test with multimeter) i dont want to spend £100 on a UPS just on a whim that it may solve it.

I hope i've given you all enough information (and not too much!), and i eagerly await your thoughts!

Thanks in advance

Alex

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/su...dVer=5.2&EvtID=6009&EvtSrc=EventLog&LCID=1033

Explanation

The user restarted or shut down the computer by clicking Start or pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then clicking Shut Down. The message displays the Windows product information for the computer logging the message, including the product name, version, build number, service pack number, and operating system type.

User Action

No user action is required.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/su...dVer=5.2&EvtID=6005&EvtSrc=EventLog&LCID=1033

Explanation

This event is written at system startup after the user initiates an expected restart or shutdown by clicking Start or pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then clicking Shut Down.

If the persistent Time Stamp group policy setting is either enabled or not configured, system information is written to the data section of this event. This information includes the name and version of the Windows Server 2003 operating system and the computer's make and model.

If any of the sources for this information are unavailable, or if their contents are unreadable, their corresponding fields display <unknown>.

User Action

No user action is required.

These are just notifications that the system was restarted by means other than the start menu. These are notifications made cause you restarted via the Ctrl+Alt+Del method. Nothing serious.

I haven't restarted using ctrl+alt+del though. The times that the event log says that this happened is actually when the power cuts off.

So the computer thinks that I've restarted, but in actual fact its just cut out.

That could be due to overheating or a problem with the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom